1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I prepared for my order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flakey chick, Jun 23, 2008.

1. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have ordered my banty babies from Ideal and will be getting them this week. I ordered 5 EEs and 5 barred rocks. It is my hope to get a laying flock between of between 3 to 6 bantam hens, so I think I have the order right, but....

How many peanuts are they going to send me? How quickly (young) can I get rid of them? Does anyone dispatch the peanuts on arrival? How much extra room and feed will I need? I have built my brooder and tested the temps. The brooder is built to be expanded in stages.

Stage 1: 4.5 sq feet
    Stage 2: 7.5 sq feet
    Stage 3: 12 sq feet

Is this going to be big enough to raise all the fuzzy butts until I can get rid of the ones I don't want? When will I be able to tell the sex of the banties? (I'm going to try to guess and track the BR from their markings day 1).

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Your guess is as good as ours. They could send 0 or they could send 10. You won't know until you open the box.

Quote:They need 3 - 4 weeks to feather out and start developing their sex characteristics be able to guess the gender. Often that isn't enough either depending on the breed. I have seen people with 'hens' for six months and then the hormones kick in and it turns out to be a male.

They don't always send males. Some people have gotten females. You would be kinder to rehome them than to kill them on arrival. Somehow that is just wrong even to me. I don't raise pets. Dispatching a new chick sent extra upon arrival is up to you but if you do it don't tell anyone. You won't garner any friends.

Quote:That depends on what they send you.

Quote:You are better off giving them all the 12 sq ft open space from the start. They need it to run around and play in. You'll have less problems that way.

Quote:In 2 weeks or less they will have outgrown that brooder and need more space. 12 sq ft is really not a lot of space for 13 - 16 chicks - even if they were all bantam size.

Quote:You have to give them time to grow and feather out the same as any other chicks. 4 - several weeks.

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    That was very helpful. Thanks.

4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Go ahead and get yourself a 50 lb bag of chic starter !!!! You will nedd ALL of it !!!!

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    MissPrissy...I'm like a sponge when I read your posts! You are so knowledgable!

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:Sice the price will be going up again, go ahead and get 2

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations!

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:YES , I have to agree , NO SENSE in the different stages , GIVE them AS MUCH room as possible and you will have alot less problems .

If they start getting HOT or over crowded , thats when the peaking starts and you can avoid that by giving them ALOT of room . SO GO FOR IT

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I had 20-some chicks in a small area & ended uo expanding within 10 days! No harm in setting up a big ol' brooder...no harm at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by