Am I really getting my first eggs or is someone pulling my leg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moodusnewchick, Sep 14, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Ok, it's been a busy week, I haven't spent much time with the chickens. Today is Sunday, so it's a bit more relaxed.

SEVEN eggs in my "banty" coop. I write "banty" because the buckeyes have recently starting sleeping in there too. The buckeyes and banties are all younger than my egg layers I've been saying "go lay an egg" to. Could these really be my eggs or do you think some "friend" put eggs in my coop? Here're my issues: the eggs are very clean; they were piled in two corners; slightly smaller than grocery; only behavior difference is the bucks sleeping in their old coop. Bucks are 13 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

THey look like 'pullet eggs' to me- lucky you!

Our golden comets are beginning to lay, 4/12 at 16 weeks e days.

Looks like you have winners...[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You never even knew I was there.
    I blew in like the wind through your hair.
    [​IMG]

Hold the eggs nest to a golf ball or dollar bill. It's hard to tell. Banty eggs have
    the diameter of a quarter. Those look bigger, like standard pullet eggs.

4. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I don't think they're banty eggs. if anything the bucks have started way before the others

5. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Quote:I thought i felt something

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Anybody bawking and bragging?

7. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    not bragging, but i have heard some unearthly squawks. i thought it was the girls yelling at Rooben. i kept checking the planned egg boxes (which have some fakes in there), but nothing. what a nice surprise if this is for real!

8. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Update: it's one of the original layers, 21 weeks old. I caught Buffy going into the "banty" coop. She was looking and looking for the eggs. Too bad I had already cracked them and made breakfast. Two were fertile out of the seven. Buffy tried to act broody on me and her vent is rather "dilated." I explained to her that the eggs are gone and I succeeded in removing her from the coop. She is now wandering around, without her clique, crying. I told her I would let her set on the next batch. I feel so bad, kinda. I think i lied though. If i let her set, she won't lay, and her purpose is to lay. so I guess i need to get a thicker skin and stop feeling guilty about her wandering cries.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Poor chicken [​IMG] Aw, she'll get over it [​IMG] Lucky you that you are getting eggs... DH keeps threatening to eat my hens since they refuse to start laying.. LOL He keeps coming home with all of this "advice" that he gets from people at work, etc... I keep explaining to him they are just not old enough and are NOT production breeds [​IMG]

10. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I thought that I was the only one feeling like someone is tricking me. I have 3 white button quail that I was beginning to think were roo's because the other's were picking on them. They have been separted for a few weeks now. Well I finally posted a add on craigslist and freecycle for the 3 "roo's"..... I got a egg yesterday out of the "roo" pen. Well this morning I got 2........just a few minutes ago I got 2 more... [​IMG]

I asked my dh and ds if they were playing with my head and they both said " nope why would we do that we don't like them birds", so I am guessing that I have atleast 2 hens in there. I have to change my freecycle add cause these little babies are here to stay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by