Am I really that unlucky? Looks like only 1 female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SaraFL, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have finally (FINALLY) been able to notice a difference in the ducks' voices. They are 2-3 months old (not sure exactly, don't keep track). Of the 5 ducks, there is 1 definite female Pekin. The other 2 Pekins and the 2 Khaki Campbells are very quiet and whispery. I'm so disappointed. [​IMG] I wonder what are the chances I could find some Khakis and/or Welsh Harlequins locally that are about the same age.

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Of my 5 flying Mallards, I have 3 drakes and 2 ducks. Now, I realize, the Pekin with the pink bill is my only female. The other 3 are drakes. Gonna have some worn out females at my place. [​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I had that same problem this spring. I could only get unsexed welsh harlequins, so I ordered 6. They ALL ended up being drakes!

I do have some 3 month old female khaki campbells if you aren't too far away. Where are you located? I'm in Maine

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

HAA!!! You think thats bad. I ordered 14 ducklings from Holderreads this year and have ended up with 2 females out of 14!!!!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Don't you just love that when that happens! It happened to me last spring...Hatched out 15 Cochins and got ONE female. Good luck with your next batch! Hope it's the opposite prob for you next time!

6. SaraFL

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow, well good to know I'm not the only unlucky one LOL. The males are so cute too. I just don't think it would be a good idea to keep 4:1 males:females and I don't have room for a bunch of separate pens.

7. SaraFL

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Darn it, I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Thank you anyway, I'd love to get them if I could.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Sara check craigslist there has been a number of ducks listed recently.

Shellie

9. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Dont know where you are in florida but in my area (pinellas park) There is someone on craigslist selling rouens and pekins. Not much else around here besides hatching eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by