Am I right... cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swampcat, Jun 9, 2011.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    The following guys are 4-5 weeks old and EE's.

This is Pumpkin. S/he has always had me flipflopping back and forth as to what his/her gender is. Now that s/he is around 5 weeks, I've noticed that the comb is starting to swell and turn pinkish. So I'm thinking cockerel. Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this little dude (black/white one), I've had a feeling since he was a chick that he was a cockerel. His name is Rooie. Am I right? (Sorry about not having a pic of his back, but the little bugger dove into the poison ivy and I wasn't about to follow him.) His wings are white and black with a smidgen of chestnut lacing.

[​IMG]

And this little guy I thought was a pullet. S/he had a look-alike and we could never tell the two of them apart, so we called them Thing 1 and Thing 2. The past couple days I've noticed this one's comb starting to widen and become more pronounced than the twin. So is Thing One a cockerel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I am right, that means I'll have 6 pullets and 3 cockerels. What are the odds the 3 will get along when they are bigger? Or am I likely looking at chicken pot pie a la roo? [​IMG]

2. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    pumpkin still looks pullet to me

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pullet
    Cockeral
    Cockeral

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    At 4-5 weeks, I think it's still too early for anyone other than a qualified chicken sexer to make a good guess.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:My thoughts exactly! She will be beautiful too!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:Oh I hope Pumpkin is a pullet! S/he is a little shy but is very very sweet and will jump for treats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by