1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I right?? I *think* I know what these Cobb and Ross Chicks are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilmouthy, Jul 21, 2009.

1. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 12 Cobb and Ross Chickens. Don't know which are which,they all look exactly the same...all but 2 or 3 have yellow legs,the others have white. But,I'm not really worried about that. I'm just wondering if after all the reading and looking at pics on here,if I can now tell which of my own chickens are Roos and which are hens. All of them are 10 weeks old

First 4 pictures are of the 3 that I think are Roosters...are they? The last one is a pic of one of the ones I think is a hen. All the ones I'm thinking are hens,look just like the one in the last picture. Normally her comb and those things hanging under her beak are almost the same color red as what's on the ones I'm thinking are roosters. For some reason,the camera washed out all her red. The other "hens" aren't quite as red as "her" but almost. OK...On to the pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

They're Cornish/Rock crosses and it looks like all the pics show roosters except the last one and the one on the right of the second-to-last pic. I'm not sure about the sexing, though, sorry.

3. lilmouthy

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    So are Cornish Rock X's,are they what Cobb and Ross chickens are? These are chicken house chickens.

4. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

the roos should have bigger combs and waddles. you are right on with what you think. and yes they are Cornish/Rock crosses that are in chicken houses in the south.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Someone must have been slurring their words when they told you what they are. [​IMG]

They look like nice birds anyway.

6. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

My family raised a bunch of Cornish Cross chickens for food, when I was a teenager. One of them somehow escaped being eaten, and you know...she was a fine laying hen. She laid light brown eggs, a nice big one every day. Sometimes she laid them on the cow's flank, where the cow was lying down to chew her cud. Then, if I was really careful, I could sneak up and get the egg off the cow before the cow stood up and the egg got broken.

I know they're not supposed to be good layers, but Scrambles really did herself proud.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You do know that Cobb and Ross are types of broiler birds (meat birds) correct? It's time to process them for the dinner table!

8. lilmouthy

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for all the answers. Chotii,I hope my gals will lay me some good eggs. I didn't know they weren't good layers until you all told me what breed these guys/gals actually were. I googled and read up some on them. I knew they were meat birds,but no one will be eating these guys. Although,when I looked at that picture of the one Rooster,with him laying down. I saw how big his breast were and told DH,boy that would be some good eating. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by