am i starting my chicks with a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Apr 13, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm keeping them in their brooder for about 3-4 wks. there's not much to do in there. they have a little roost they use alot. the water is on a flat rock, they climb on & that's about it.
    do they need more stimulation than that?
    thanks;

2. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    All they do is eat, sleep, and stay warm. They should be fine, and they're certainly not at a disadvantage. Not all chicks even get roosts - it's great for them to have that to practice ;)

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Shoot your from Texas, Me too. Put the chicks out now. I put mine out at 3 weeks old. Granted the 16 I Have are the only chickens in the coop and run. The are 5 weeks old, most are going into the coop at night on there own now. They will be much happier outside.
    Now if you have adult chickens Id build a little temp run and shelter for them were the old girls can see the young ones. After they get used to seeing each other 6 or 7 weeks old.

4. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    They didn't say they were 3-4 weeks old. They said they were staying in the brooder for 3-4 weeks! [​IMG]

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I started taking mine outside at 5 days old in a little playpen I built. It was warm here in central texas. Back in the brooder at night. By week 2 they were in the coop with a light, being taken out and put back in at night. At 3 weeks they were OUT, had run of everything, coop and run. At 5 weeks old they are cooping themselves up at night. All but a few anyway. They are happy healthy and FAT. So, get them out now.

6. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds good. Only thing else they need is some attention if you want them tame. Once in awhile I give mine a mirror. They like to stare at it and make noises. It's rather entertaining. I don't leave it in there all the time though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by