Am I starving them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newbie donna, Jul 1, 2010.

1. newbie donna

newbie donna Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    SW Missouri
    My chicks are 5 weeks old. I have a constant supply of new, clean, medicated feed, appropriate for their age as well as a sand box filled with construction sand. Since they spend almost every moment of daylight outdoors, they frequently feast on flies and lately, a lot of japanese beetles which they catch and eat. Twice a week, I give them a can of tuna, (packed in spring water), I give them rinsed yard clippings (grass and pansies only. No weeds), as well as whatever wild growing clover I come across. When it's really hot out, I'll let them have a bit of yogurt, watermelon, apples or grapes. I clean their water feeders and fill them with fresh water in the morning and in the evening.

They are growing and I can't find anything wrong with them but, they never seem to get full. They act as if they are starving to death. They try to take the food out of each others mouths even though there is more than enough food right before them. Please tell me what I'm overlooking!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Sounds like normal chicken behavior mine do this also the babies I got in February love doing this with the meal worms I think you are doing everything just fine.

3. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    to them all food is pizza

and when have you ever heard of too much pizza

if mine are in there pen they will look at the layena at times

when i put a can of seeds down you better look out its pig out...

but when i let them out its non stop eating grass, bugs, treats, ect..

you and yours are doing just fine

and some what spoiled it sounds like

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds normal to me. By the way, no need to rinse the grass clippings, unless they have been sprayed with something, in which case I wouldn't feed them to the chicks, even rinsed. Weeds are fine for them too.
    I just had a few of my "meaties" out in the yard. They are approx. 3 weeks old. They ate weeds, bugs, wild strawberries, whatever they could get their little beaks around. Put em back in the brooder and they made a beeline for the feeder.
    Chicks simply don't get full.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And it doesn't change much once they're older...lol. Much of their lives revolves around food [​IMG]

6. newbie donna

newbie donna Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Oh thank goodness! I'm so relieved. I've been worried about them for some time! I'll just keep the food coming then! Thank you all!

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do you also notice how incredibly fast they're growing? That's why they're eating so much.

When they're full grown, their primary pastime in life will still be looking for things to eat, but it does slack off somewhat. And there's always competition within the flock when one of them finds a particularly tasty bug, lizard or what have you.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    They just eat a LOT!! Keep that food coming...you're doing great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by