1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I supposed to close the coop door every night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephanyk, Feb 22, 2017.

1. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Hi all, so my birds learned by night 4 how to go in the coop at night and i swear my husband and i were high fiving each other and jumping around like little kids! Anyhow, now that the weather is warming up, I'm wondering if I'm still supposed to go out there every night and close them in. They seem to want to hang out inside but just keep their heads popped out.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You can't have any weakness in the run that the coop opens up to. It is nice to leave it open and they can be out at first light but not worth it if you loose anyone.

3. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    Unless your coop door opens up into a penitentiary style run I wouldn't. They're pretty much defenseless and night time leaves them vulnerable to many nocturnal predators.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Personally I close my coop every night. I am in town and have few night predators. I just don't ever want to go out to find that I had a weak spot and lost birds.

Lock em or loose em.

5. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Im sorry, i wasnt very clear. The coop is enclosed and also opens up into a penetetionary type run, built by my husband. The birds have no way to get out and are completely protected. But it does still scare me thinking "what if".

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Always better to be safe than sorry IMO. Even if your run is very well put together, by closing up the coop you're adding an extra layer of protection when many predators are most active.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you have a skirt buried around your whole run? Is the run made of hardware cloth, or chicken wire? Is there any where you could push a quarter through any part of your run? A weasel can squeeze through an opening the size of a quarter and can kill a whole flock in a single night. They are found in all 48 states. Chicken wire will keep chickens in, but it will not keep predators out. Many common preds can tear through chicken wire very easily.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Thanks guys....think i wont risk it and just keep closing it. Appreciate the advise:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by