Am I terrible?

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
We had a massive ice storm here back in Dec. Schools were being used as shelters in many cities and towns. So the kids were out of school for basically 7 days. We have since had 1, maybe 2 snow days as well.

in the state there is a law about how many days the kids "have to be" in class. 180 days. Normally the year ends June 15th.
Right now, with only Dec and half of Jan behind us so far the schools are looking at ending the year the end of June if not the beginning of July.

I get that this makes the year longer. I get that some people have money still for vacations and maybe have made vacation plans already. But. considering how many kids really NEED the schooling. And for how many in my city school is the ONLY safe place where they can get a decent meal and such. I really think that going to school to make up the days lost is a good thing.

My sister is a teacher and when I voiced my concerns over the lost days told me that "a week or two of missed class isnt going to hurt her" I know it wont hurt my kid. since we spend the time out of school reading to her and working with her on things. But she is only in KG.

what about the kids that are going to be taking the state mandated tests in the coming years?? Begins in the 3rd and 4th grade. what if the missed days screw them up? They cant continue on in school without passing these tests.

I know it will extend the year for the teachers as well as the rest of the school staff and the buses. but I think that the kids should be put first here. Not the adults that already have their educations and, hopefully live in safe conditions with a decent diet etc.

One school district has put out a plan to have the kids make up he missing days by going to school on saturdays.
great unless your family or kid has other obligations or activities that they are involved with year round. Like riding lessons, or skating. Most birthday parties are held on saturdays around here...

I guess I just dont get it

Yes I believe the school year should be extended to make up the difference. We don't really have a problem with snow and missing days here, but they work in a week of planning days and extra days on spring break. If they get snow days they start taking away those days first. When we flooded in 1999 from the hurricane, they extended the school year and they went a few weekends to make up missed days. It is the law they have to go so many hours/days. They can't change that now, maybe they should add hour or 2 on the school day to make up the time faster. I have heard of them doing that in emergency's also.

Last edited:
We have a lot of schools around here that are only going 4 days a week.
They start school earlier and stay later. The school also provides 3 meals during the day, because the kids are in school so much longer.
One school where my friend's daughter goes to school has Tues. - Fri. classes.
She really likes it. And a lot of the snow days we have had this year were on Mondays - so they don't have to make up a day.

In '96-'97 when I was in school the governor 'pardoned' the snow days and we didn't have to make them up.

I understand that our kids have to make up for the snow days but I really hate that it cuts into our summertime. Our kids get 2 weeks off for Xmas and then 5 weeks later they get another week off for President's Week. I say they use President's Week days as our snow make up days
idunno.gif
. Really, why do our kids need another week off just because it's President' Week? I don't get it.

I'm interested to find out more about the kids that were out of schools because of Katrina. Did they still graduate on time? Did they have to go to summer school? Etc. What happened to those kids-- do we have a whole class level behind because of that issue?

I don't know about you, but I'M in middle school and I personally DO NOT want to have school through August or whatnot! IME, even if you do have an extra week or whatever at the end of the year the teachers sort of just let you bop around because they don't have anything to teach you.

Quote:
So why not let you guys stay home if there's nothing to teach? I'll admit last year I let my son stay home for the last 2 days of school because they were just make up days and they weren't there to learn anyway.

Quote:
So why not let you guys stay home if there's nothing to teach? I'll admit last year I let my son stay home for the last 2 days of school because they were just make up days and they weren't there to learn anyway.

Because of that good ole law (voice dripping with sarcasm) that says we need to be in school for X amount of days. I know, it's lame.

Back
Top Bottom