Am I the only dog owner that has to do this?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Nov 30, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay I don't have to do it, the dogs are trained and will follow commands easily, but...

Whenever I come in from retrieving the mail I have to let them smell each piece of mail. I don't know what kind of pleasure they get from it, but it's a daily ritual.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is that similar to mine sniffing the car tires after we return from every trip?

3. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My dog Ginger she is a Chiuaua (not sure how to spell it lol ) anyways EVERY DAY at 9 am she wants out so she can chase birds... Its not normal if she doesnt want out at 9 am to go and chase birds.. and unfortunatly if she gets lucky enough to catch one she will kill it and eat it.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Even if i try to let her in she will run away from me and continue on her chase... If i catch her and bring her in (after about an hour of chasing her.) She will bark and whine at the back door until she gets soooo annoying I have to let her out... [​IMG] She drives me nuts but I love her lol [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, Jax will do that if we happen to let him out shortly after returning home. This morning they insisted on sniffing some egg cartons that a neighbor brought me, even after I assured them that the neighbor hadn't hidden a bomb in the cartons. [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Your dogs are huffing mail?!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Everytime I leave the house my dogs sniff me like I have cheated on them. [​IMG] [​IMG] I tell them that I have not been around any other animals and they smell me and lick me from head to toe. They smell everything I bring into the house. Crazy dogs.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My two little wiener dogs are always accusing me of being unfaithful to them when I come home from anywhere I have touched an animal or an animal has touched me.

Also, if I have to hold a chicken for any reason, I will be hoovered later by Dooley, who has to sniff up every single molecule of poultry scent from my hands and clothing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Every single little molecule [​IMG] Dont even leave one for anyone else to sniff up! ROFL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by