Am I the only nut that weighs eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I've been reading allot of posts that are concerned that their eggs are so small. Well mine were tiny also but that is to be expected. As they lay more and more the get bigger and bigger.

I decided to weigh them. Hey why not?

The third one was 38 grams (about 1 1/2 ounces) the next was 38 gr and the next 48, today I ate one (#7)that was 50 gr.

I can't wait for an omelet....yummmmmmmmm

Keep up the good work girls, can't wait for the others.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Nope, I weighed and recorded the weight (3 decimal places) until the batteries died in my scale. I used the scale we use to weigh gun powder. Works really well. Just need to get some batteries, and I'll be back to my OCD behavior. [​IMG]

3. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I weigh all of mine and maintain a spreadsheat. I record all the individual weights and have the spreadsheat calculate the average weight for the month, total combined monthly weight (in ounces and pounds), add the monthly totals together for a combined annual weight (again, in ounces and pounds) and average that out for the "average" egg weight. I also know exactly how many eggs have been laid, as it will add that up for me too.

I have 6 chickens. I used to have the spreadsheet going for 3, but modified it when the other 3 started to lay around July.

I can tell you August was our best month for laying, with 113 eggs equalling 10.79 lbs. November was our worst month with only 45 eggs at 5.12 lbs.

I don't have OCD I promise. I just do this for fun.

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Sounds like fun to me. You just gave me an idea.
    But how do you know who is laying or do they all have there own individual nests? [​IMG]

5. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, when I had just the 3 laying I knew who was laying what. When the other 3 started to lay I thought I'd get confused, so I just numbered the chart 1-6. As it turns out, I still know who is laying what so the number system wasn't needed after all. No one has a number, the weights are just added to the chart under any number. I'd like to go back to the individual name chart I used to keep, but I'll be getting 10 more in the next month or two and I know that I'll surely lose track when they start to lay.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that I know all the weights and whatnot, just not who laid what. I know for a fact though that my barred rock is the best layer, with my wyandotte at a close second. My lakenvelder is the poorest layer.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I would weigh eggs, but I don't have one of those nifty scales.

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd love to weigh MY eggs....IF I ever get any from my lazy, eating machines that are refusing to humor me by producing an egg even though they are now way old enough...

*Calms self down*

But, I'm not bitter or frustrated or anything....

[​IMG]

8. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I use a postal scale. It's digital. I got it when I decided to try Stamps.com They send you a free scale.

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I have an egg scale (I got it for Christmas), now I just need the darn eggs! [​IMG]

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I want an egg scale, where's the best place to puchase one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by