Am I the only one disappointed by egg size? (PIC added, post 1)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Jan 16, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I have 3 black sex links from a breeder that started laying recently...

They are the BIGGEST hens in the coop, I think mixed with black cochin, some barred rock, some rhode island red.

They are gorgeous, one is 10 months old and the other two are about 7 months old.

They lay small, pale creamy pink eggs [​IMG]

I mean hardly bigger than a silkie's egg!!

One has been laying for 2 months now, no change in egg size.

Soooo disappointed... my clients all want those jumbo brown eggs and I can't deliver, I feel like half the flock is free-loading!

I'm going to have to get more production reds from the feedstore this spring, although it's not the direction I want my flock to take I don't have much choice.

Bah humbug! [​IMG]

Edited to add a pic... white eggs are from breeder sexlinks (new-ish layers) and the brown egg is from a feedstore sexlink, almost 2 years old

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think an increase in protein can make the eggs bigger. Seems I read it here once or twice. I assume you're feeding 16% Layer feed...

I have a red sexlink and her eggs are never as big as the Leghorn's eggs. I think it's just a breed thing. Supermarket eggs traditionally come from Leghorns - that are bred to produce very large eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I am getting some brown leghorns this spring but since they will be chicks, it's another 6 months until they lay... can't wait!

The flock gets tons of protein in their feed and extras!

My feedstore sexlinks give me large to jumbo eggs every day, so I know it's not the food...

Ah, genetics.

[​IMG]

4. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    I have a gold sex-link that lays large-jumbo brown eggs. The barred rocks sometimes lay medium eggs, but also large, the buff o's lay med-large, and the black aussie hasn't started just yet. All have been laying for 1-2 months.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    I give my girls 20% Allway feed (by BV Mills) - the feed store recommended it and it really seems to help them get through the molt faster. Plus my eggs are all large. I know most use 16%, but I have better production and it seems healthier girls on the 20%.

6. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I think I have "egg envy". My silkies aren't laying anything, large or small. Bah!

7. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    that's totally normal when they first start laying....over time they will get bigger.

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:How long over time? weeks or months?

My biggest hen has been laying for 2 months now and her eggs are still exactly the same (small and pale pink).

Can big hens just be small egg layers? [​IMG]

Here is the flock this morning...

The four blacks on the left are the ones from the breeder and laying very small, pale pink eggs (the black on the right lays HUGE brown eggs, she's from a feedstore and almost 2 years old)

[​IMG]

9. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    right now i have 1 rir and 3 bo's. the rir is tiny but she lays the biggest eggs i have ever seen. i would say let yours get a little older.

10. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Ah well, I love them all and they lay what they will lay...

Just gotta break more eggs to make omelets, I suppose!

I will still get more feedstore production reds as soon as I can, I really need those jumbo brown eggs to please my customers... After all, they help pay for the flock's food and care so it's a good investment [​IMG]

The purebreds will have to be for my pleasure only!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by