Am I the only one excited about packing peanuts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porkchop48, Nov 15, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    How pathetic am I ?

I plan to replace about 50-75% of my flock come spring.. Am I the only one excited about getting packing peanuts?

I almost wanted to ask which company normally sends them [​IMG]

My flock has 7 acres to free range so some extra roos have not seems to cause any problems :)

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Wait wait wait, do the hatcheries just give you packing peanuts without telling you? Do you always get them? I'm coonnffussed!!

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Ideal instructs the customer to tell them right away if you don't want the extras.

I have been happy about acquiring my roos too. Hopefully all will get along well, so far so good.

4. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    I just received my order from Ideal last week. I ordered 8 egg layers and 5 cornish x. They sent me 1 extra cornish and 9 packing peanuts. I was so excited to get 10 extra chicks. I am hoping there are at least a couple pullets in that 9. I can't have 9 roos to 8 pullets. I am not sure how they decide how many to include but remember 1 box holds 25 so the closer you are to that number you may be less likely to get packing peanuts.

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

The packing peanuts I have received from Ideal Poultry have been so healthy looking!

Gail

6. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    I am going to be getting 8 packing peanuts with the 12 girl chicks I ordered. I am planning on loving them all until I find each and every one a happy forever home. I already have 3 spoken for and they All promise to sing them showtunes every night!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I was excited about my free, packing peanuts, too, when I got 'em. Not all of 'em were roosters, but they were all RIRs. 14 wittle fuzzy wuzzies, very healthy.

However, all of the boys are in the raging testosterone stage right now, and competing with each other and the several other Roos in my flock. I've lost a few pullets from injuries due to being gang raped. (They had to be humanely euthanized due to broken necks or possible internal injuries.)

So be ready with a plan to deal with that possibility in your flock. Mine are going to a friend's Freezer Camp.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Mine too! Those little RIR roosters are lively, tough little boogers.

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I've never ordered from a hatchery, but I always thought that getting a whole bunch of "extras" would be fun and exciting. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In the and spring and summer months they do not usually send packing peanuts but in the fall, and winter they do for a warmth factor. The more you order the less packing peanuts if any are included. This is just from my past experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by