Am I the only one who does this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bakerjw, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Talk of people finding raccoons near their coops and having them run off while they go get their preferred weapon of choice got me wondering. I had a dog get a hen a few weeks back so now I often keep the shotgun handy when I'm working outside. When darkness comes and it's time to lock up the chickens I also carry my rifle with a night vision scope on it.

Am I the only one who regularly carries a rifle or shotgun with me when I'm out checking on my chickens?

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I do, but only in the winter. Lots of hungry things up here in the winter and it gets dark very early.

3. sulco

sulco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Up in da UP, eh!
    I've often wondered the same thing and not come to a full on conclusion.

By the time I saw some criminalistic critter, go into the house, open the case, remove trigger lock, go back outside, load and aim, the offender would have the bbq started and be grilling.

I don't think I need to carry one with me all the time, but have it tucked away in the garage. Our coop/run is right behind the garage and we're outside all the time anyway light or dark, so I take that as some deterrent; a dog and two noisy children don't hurt either.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm always packing some heat. Your out checking feeders without your gun & you alw[​IMG]ays see the big one.

5. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    7L is reaqdy for war. Im sure nothing stands a chance with the killin machine [​IMG]

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:No

7. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I carry my 30-30 and/or .22 with me at all times here lately because mountain lions have been killin livestock and coons have been in overdrive

8. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    No, I don't want to carry a gun on that steep trail in the dark. But my big ol' dog knows the way, and he runs ahead of me to check everything out!

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:HA! I WANT your setup! [​IMG]

but usually I just carry my glock. for a couple of reasons... first, I can carry it and have it right at hand and still have 2 hands free for doing whatever I'm doing. second, because I'm accurate with it, and really, If I need to hit something outside my glock accuracy range, backstop is likely to be an issue if I miss.

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Always! I carry a small caliber pistol with bird shot in the mornings...normally just snake control...in the evening when I do my final walk a rounds...large caliber pistol for coons, 'possums, coyotes, bobcats...big night time predator things....

7L, since your in Texas..thats either for hogs or your Bobwhites are mean as [email protected]!! [​IMG] [​IMG] (If its for hogs, can I come down and shoot?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by