Am I the only one who grocery shops for the chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BethieofVA, Oct 27, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I just got back from the store and when I go, not only am I shopping for my family, but the chickens, too. I have six pullets, who have a large run, but not free range, so I buy them fresh spinach, collards, sprouts,etc.... I am always in produce picking out treats, today, they got grapes! Am I the only nut other there? LOL!

2. Sylvialarry

Sylvialarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Northern Calif
    No, I always grocery shop for our girls too!! Yesterday I bought them some kale, grapes and spinach. Then my husband brought home some crickets for them. We love spoiling our girls. Keep up the good work.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    No, you're not alone......my grocery cart is divided into 3 sections---our, Pop's, and the chickens. Often times, the chickens section is flowing over......every week I buy them canned vegetables, cabbage, lettuce, Rice Krispies, oatmeal, grits, angel hair pasta, rice, canned fruit and any produce on sale.

4. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Those are great ideas. I never thought of Rice Krispies. I do buy rolled oats which I give wet and dry. Also, grits, for my daughter who loves them, but I cook extra for the birds. I am so bad.

5. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Not only do I shop for them,I also COOK for them! My family thinks I'm nuts.I make them oatmeal with fresh berries,wheat germ,eggs and fresh yogurt for breakfast almost every day...Now that's nuts [​IMG]

6. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I am also guilty! Spinach, grapes, melons, oatmeal, corn on the cob. At Trader Joes they have 3ft brussel sprouts stems that I wire to enclosure. It gives them something to do and it lasts for days.

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I am on my way out the door right now to go shopping for the girls. I want to make them a flock block, but I need seed. Oh, I guess I need dog food too! Need potatos for my mealworm colonies also. Boy are they spoiled. lol

8. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    We are making some pricey eggs, huh? I get such joy from treating them though.

9. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    I get them crickets and mealworms, at the pet store. Then at the grocery store I get them grapes, kale if we are not growing it and I always have oatmeal (3 little girls) and I make extra and give it to them WARM. I used to get yogurt and cottage cheese for them sometimes but I heard on the Washingtonians thread that dairy products gives chickens diarhea and you shoulnd't give it to them. Now I don't. [​IMG]

Thebrussels sprouts wired to the fence sounds like a *very* good idea.

10. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    I grocery shop for them in the garden. Sick of eating cherry tomatoes-give them to the chickens, windfall apples-give them to the chickens, beet greens, chard, kale, pepper seeds, the list goes on.

The sick thing is, I'm thinking of planting them a garden next year. On the list- corn, sunflowers, oats, barley, millet, wheat, tomatoes, chard, kale, cabbage..... I have a bunch of old seeds I'm planning to broadcast. Whatever comes up comes up and I'll throw it in their run for treats. The seeds and grains I'll dry for winter treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by