1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am i the only one...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaDuck1, Apr 3, 2012.

1. No, not really

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Havent read it

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Eh... Yes and no

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    ....who found Storey's Guide to Raising ducks not helpfull at all? I see it mentioned on here a lot. I didnt get anything from it. Sorry for poll typo

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I would love to hear more about it. Is there another resource that you like better? I admit, I'm a huge Holderread fan--nobody knows as much as he does--and I loved the book (I still have the old version), and STILL refer to it occasionally after many years of raising ducks. I had the privilege to interview him and use him as a resource for an article on ducks I wrote for a magazine as well. So I'm a bit biased! lol

So I am really curious what it is that was *not* helpful. What *would* be helpful for it to contain? I'm all ears!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I found Holderread covered many topics, and often provided great detail. For example, the section on exactly what they do with ducklings at his place (grit, oatmeal, brooder descriptions . . . ) and when to start giving free choice oyster shell or other calcium supplement for laying.

Another source I have found since then is The Ultimate pet Duck Guidebook, which is geared toward ducks as pets (hence, the name) and therefore expands on some topics more than Storey's Guide (first edition, which is the one I have read).

These books are a good combination of written materials for me. But they do not replace the Duck Forum.

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I haven't read it and probably won't. Of course, as many people on here that quote it... I feel like I have read it! But I'll just post questions here if I need something. :)

5. MamaDuck1

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    It just left a lot to be desired. I still had sooooooo many questions after reading it. :/

6. MamaDuck1

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    I havent read that one yet.... It would probably be a better fit for me.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes and no we have it in ebook form so the latest edition. I think it's useful but isn't the be all and end all, honestly nothing replaces real life experience and the ability to speak with people who have BTDT.

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I have it and find it to be a great resource. I refer to it often and if I cant find what I am looking for I go online.

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I found it to be a great resource, especially when I was first starting out. It also helped me formulate better questions.

Another book I liked a lot was "The Domestic Duck" by Chris & Mike Ashton.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've had ducks for 42 years and I still look things up in Storey's.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by