Am I the top dog?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_noob, Jul 19, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Our first group of chickens we a small flock ( white crested blue polish, and 3 frizzled bantam cochins ) from the get-go the WCBP seemed calm..never chased or got overly excited. Now that they are out of the brooder and into the pen/free ranging the WCBP is the top dog.

My 2nd group of chicks consists of 12 chicks (1blk JG, 1blu JG, 2 bantam RIR, 1 RIR, 2 EE's, 2 blk Wyandottes, 2 leghorns, and 1 brahma ) The blueJG looks to be the biggest one in there..he grows so fast. When I go to the brooder for treats, ill drop little pieces of bread and the 11 go nuts over it, fun to watch. The blueJG just sits there not really caring. He eats, drinks and poops good. Healthy looking with a clean vent. Does he just not care for treats or is he the top dog and letting his gang eat up?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    "Good" roosters will generally see that all their girls get treats before taking any for themselves.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Do they get better at this as they get older? Mine's a greedy pig who runs over and eats first although he does make a funny noise that sounds like he's telliing the hens it's good stuff. He's about 4 months old and very bossy.

4. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    That's what I have heard. Wasn't sure since he is still in the brooder. He just seems so content doing nothing. And im guessing he's a HE since he hasn't shown any signs of being a roo. But when I did took him out today I sat him by me on the ground. My WCBP roo, mille roo and a bantam frizzled cochin roo came over and the mille being small as it was puffed up, ruffled his neck feathers and gave lil blue a peck. Maybe they sence he's a HE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by