Am I turning my eggs right? *Animation included*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Mar 25, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I'm using egg cartons cut down the middle, and my eggs are leaning on an angle. I want to make sure I am doing this properly. I didnt know how to describe it so I made an animation of how I'm turning the eggs. Is this correct?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have no idea but that is so helpful! [​IMG]

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Yep thats right!! Nice animation by the way!!![​IMG]

4. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you! I made it when I made my new avatar. Like the beating heart anyone? [​IMG]

5. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    thats really helpful i have been wondering how the egg carton method works for about a week now lol [​IMG]

6. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:what do u mean cut down the middle???? i dont get it (pic) [​IMG]

7. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    thank you so much for that picture....I was wondering if I was turning my eggs right also....

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

There really isn't any WRONG way to turn your eggs... Your animation is spot on for using the egg carton method, but for those who dont use a turner or egg carton, you just completely flip them over.

9. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    what about using styrofoam egg cartons instead of cardboard....is that ok?....

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is a section dedicated to storing and handling eggs for incubation in this Texas A&M document. According to this document, the egg needs to be turned 90 degrees, which means from 45 degrees one way to 45 degrees the opposite way. Depending on how low you cut the carton, you may be able to achive this with your method.

This site also recommends storing them pointed end down, so turning them from pointed end down to pointed end up and then back would be the wrong way to turn them.

There is a lot more in this document, so I'll let you read it yourself if you wish. All this increases hatchability. It does not say the egg will not hatch if you don't do this. It just increases the odds if you have to store them for a while.

http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension publications/b6092.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by