1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I wrong, this Silkie is not show quality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shared Acres, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I realize that most any purebred bird would be fine in a local fair but this one's top knot is very underdeveloped to me. I photographed her with my buff showgirl Lucy and my splash chick for a comparison.

[​IMG]
    Lucy & questionable chicken

[​IMG]
    Lucy, questionable chicken, splash chick

[​IMG]
    questionable chicken, splash chick

[​IMG]
    Lucy, questionable chicken, splash chick

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Looks like its possibly a rooster, and 'show quality' is all relative. That bird might now win at a show where there are a lot of other Silkies, but it may win at a smaller county fair where there may only be a few Silkies.

With that being said, the top knot is rather underdeveloped (which may change in the future).

ETA... as long as it has some top knot, blue ear lobes, black skin, and all 5 toes its techinically show quality.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  3. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Crap, you're right. It does look AWFULLY roosterly. Even the neck feathers are shiny.

4. Poulets De Cajun

The developing 'streamers' from the top knot are what tipped me off. Whats the tail look like? I might be interested in him if you dont want him.

5. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    The color is GOOD on him, but the last thing I needed was another boy!

BTW, these are the buffs I got from Bren (anyone reading, this is NOT the same breeder as shown above). I need to find a home for the roo..

[​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I've gotten pretty good at sexing them. I just didn't even think to look at that part when they were given to me as I trusted her.

7. Poulets De Cajun

The foot feathering on Bren's roo is AWESOME~! Look how thick! Little bit too red of a comb though.

8. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Chris, yes Bren's has great foot feathering. wings are a bit hard though and it is a bit red.

[​IMG]

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I had a pullet who, although from great parentage, seemed to have a slightly smaller crest when I got her. She recently moulted and voila! Much better crest now.

10. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    ultasol I could only HOPE!

Although I'm thinking this might be a roo....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by