Am it doomed...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crumptz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    My 17 year old son was really excited to build our coop with his friend... (needs prom money)! I showed him a lean to coop design and gave him some cash... (glad he didn't take the cash for prom!). They promptly started cutting and hammering and then I realized that they framed it out to be 4X3. They also framed out for 3 nest boxes so I guess you could say it's 4X4 but that extra foot is nests. I had hope it to be 4X4 with next boxes. So, I need to know if my chickens are doomed. I have 5 little babies and plan to have an attached, enclosed run that they will have full access to. I live in Northern CA so it's mild (no snow) during winter and its under an oak tree so won't get too hot...
    Are we doomed to start over or will my chicks be too cramped?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    12 square feet is tight for 5 birds. Could you move the nest boxs to the outside? That would give you another 4 square feet.

3. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    I got lucky! I was given a huge piece of plywood at a building site. I gave it to the boys and they can replace the back with a 5 foot section instead of 4. That will make the coop 3X5 and will have additional outside next boxes! Much better for 5 hens!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

If the run is always attached to the coop and both are secure sounds -just- big enough now.

I'm in FL and all of mine are roosting on the perches in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by