Am TRYING to get info for malnourishment in domestic ducks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooniecat, Nov 25, 2012.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    (and I realize there is a "duck" section here-trying that also). I am only able to find minor info on "angel wing" and am wanting any more facts someone might have?The computer is not supplying much info and am curious if I am missing something.TY!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What exactly are you needing to know about it? Malnourishment covers a wide variety of issues.

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I am trying to educate myself for use when getting some domestics off of a public sludgepit. There are 5 Muscovies(I hen,1 drake and NOW 3 offspring-1 has disappeared,had "angle wing" like drake) Also 2 Pekins, 1 crested. Have watched these ducks last briefly for decades and many have died at this pond from malnourishment(assumedly...) anyhoo.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I think predators would be a more likely cause. Domestic ducks are very poorly equipped to survive in the wild. While they can often forage enough for food the are still easy pickings for almost any predator.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2.

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    This lake is actually a small pond(maybe 1/2 acre 4' deep) and its centrally located in huge college campus and I KNOW there are coons etc but I have also found the actual dead ducks(without any apparent wounds) wild and domestic. And they are never there more than a yr. it seems. And when they are there over winter, generally ,the next warm season they have been lame.Then they disappear/die. Just trying to get more dietary info on what feeding only bread and other crappy duck food actually can cause.

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    With those symptoms it sounds more as if they are getting into something Toxic or being poisoned. Especially if you're finding wild ducks like this. Malnourishment would show some prominent effects on a duck's body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by