Amaeraucana with bumblefoot AND impacted crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FFAChickenFan, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FFAChickenFan

FFAChickenFan Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Washington
    So my poor baby cassidy appears to have fallen ill.

I've been busy with family issues the past week or so and haven't had a lot of time to sit down with the chickens, so imagine my horror when I noticed some strange behavior from one of my first chickens while cleaning the coop

I can definitely tell from her face that she's sick. Her pupils are dilated and her usually aloof behavior has turned into all out aggressive defence to all touch.
    I brought her into the house and crated her, and immediately noticed a bump about the size of a dime on the top of her foot. She doesn't show signs of pain when she walks, but when do they ever?
    Also, her crop seems pretty swollen. Sort of hard to the touch but also a tint bit mushy, I tilted her and massaged it, but no fluids came out. I'm guessing its impacted.

How do you all think I should proceed? I put water, feed and also some scrambled eggs with oil into her crate, but I'm not sure what to tackle first. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by