Amaraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nitrostreak, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    So, I have two beautiful Amaraucanas, but I haven't the slightest clue if the kid I got them from was telling the truth about their gender, especially after seeing some pics of the breed here!

They're both about 8 weeks old, and just today I caught them facing off, though no kicking happened. The disagreement could have been from their currently small quarters, I suppose, but I thought it best to ask some experts...

Kettle...
    [​IMG]

and Mrs. Potts.
    [​IMG]

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Kettle is a EE cockerel not an amaraucana, and i would say potts is a cockerel too but could you post a side pic cant see the tail feathers.

3. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Sorry, here's some better side pics.

Kettle:
    [​IMG]

Potts:
    [​IMG]

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pretty roos

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    with 3-rowed pea combs that red at 8 weeks, those are boys... and probably Easter Eggers, not ameraucanas [​IMG]

6. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Ok, Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas... Good to know!
    Makes me very sad, as my mom was really excited about the eggs from them, and the guy we got them from said they were hens!
    He also said that EE's and Ameraucanas were the same thing, though... hmm....

I really hope this was just a mistake on his part, not an outright lie!

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    most people think ee and ameraucanas are the same, he could have true ameraucanas and mixed the colors up, happened with a friend of mine

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    unfortunately both are Cockerels. Fortunately, EEs turn into really pretty roos, so a picture on Craigslist should really get them a new home once they feather out more'

9. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Didn't even think about CL, Pele, thanks for the advice! I really had no desire at all to send these sweeties to "freezer camp." D:

10. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ya they are both cockerels as stated. Hatchery's sell EE's as ameracaunas or aracuans so most people think there EE is on. Ameracaunas also have a very strickes(sp) guideline that to call it one if it doesn't fit it then its a EE. I would say potts is an ameracauna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by