1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

amaricana laying oily slimmy egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jayburd, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

I don't know how old they are. I bought two from an auction last year. I thought it could be its age. they eat the same layer pellets as my 4 leghorns 4 black stars and my ? rooster. Are they OK to eat. Eggs not Chickens.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Oily slimmy? Is it soft shelled? I need more information.

3. jayburd

No They are hard shell. the whites are thicker than normal. instead of being light blue they are a blue green brown sort of color and coated with slime.

4. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    mine started laying some like that all of a sudden. It is awful, crap sticks to them like glue if you let them dry in the nest boxes. I have upped their protine with calf manna and some kitten chow as treats and it seems to have quit. I dont know if it is coincidence or not?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. jayburd

Anybody else have a problem with this? May be its time to thin out the older birds.

6. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    It's probably the lubricant and you're just collecting the egg shortly after it's laid. They don't come out completely dry. Does it dry after time or stay slimy?

7. jayburd

No it doesn't dry very quick. It is always a small egg too. The other Americana lays a big nice blue green egg that is always dry. This one is all slime that if you let it dry it is very hard to wash the slime and all that is stuck off.Also when you do get it clean and dry it is very smooth. Like comparing eggshell paint to gloss.

Thanks, Jay

8. jayburd

should I throw out the eggs Until they look better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by