Amateur needs opinions! Breed & Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peepers4Piper, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Peepers4Piper

Peepers4Piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    Hi y'all! Brand new chicken addict here. My daughters school raised baby chicks from eggs. I've wanted some for a long time and since we've recently moved to 15 acres I figured nows as good a time as any. I was able to snag 4 babies. No idea of breed or sex. Totally in love with the guys and right now I'm thinking I might have mostly "guys". What do ya think?

[​IMG] Meet Mischief (def a Roo! started crowing last Friday and hasn't stopped since.), Penny (in the middle) & Nugget (bottom).

[​IMG] And this is Peck.

They might be mixes but I don't really care. I'm just having a great time being a Peep Mama! The 2 that I'm most worried about are the orange ones, Penny & Peck. I'm guessing they've got Brahma in there somewhere because of the feathered feet? But completely uneducated guess. I'm also guessing that Mischief and Nugget are maybe EEs? Here are some more pics... ALL advice welcome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Poor Peck...they won't leave her/him alone.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Penny here on the bottom is kinda aggressive. Her and Mischief will come out of their coop in the morning and bump chests then give each other the stink eye. Hoping for good news but preparing for the worse. Thx in advance!!!

2. sunrisechicks67

sunrisechicks67 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    wow, you have beautiful chickens! [​IMG] and Nugget, the grayish brown chicken, to me, kind of looks like a hen. :)

3. NewlyHatchedEgg

NewlyHatchedEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

How old are they? I can't be certain without an approximate age range, but I think Nugget is your only hen. Penny is definitely a boy, and possibly Peck as well. They are mutts, my guess is Easter Eggers (which is a mutt that carries the blue egg gene). I didn't even noticed the feathered feet until you pointed them out. They can be mixed with Brahma like you suggested or a cochin. Regardless, they look like a unique bunch.

4. [​IMG] Whohoo!

I believe that Penny and Peck are buff Brahma roosters. Peck is a little hard to tell due to the missing feathers! Nugget appears to be a cross-breed and is definitely a hen. I like the coloring!

Could you post close-up pics of Mischief? I can't see him very well!

- BantamLover55

5. Peepers4Piper

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    Thx to all! Here's my Mischief. He is a sweet boy unless Penny...ehem Kenny...gets him wound up. They are 14 weeks old I believe. Give or take a week. Every one of them was a different color when they were chicks. We really thought we had 4 different breeds! Soooo...exactly how many hens would I need to keep them all? Like 8 hens a piece? If so...yikes....

[​IMG]

6. Mischief is a crossbreed. I think he is part Wyandotte.

You can keep all of the roosters if you keep them separate. Otherwise, they might pick on the hen or each other.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Nugget appears to be a pullet, every one else looks like a cockerel.
    You would need somewhere around 10-12 hens per roo, and even that might not be enough to keep them from fighting.
    They're beautiful! Good luck.

8. Peepers4Piper

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    Thx again to all! Now going to have to do some soul searching... Warmest regards! -Piper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by