Amauracanas or EEs...can you tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by naturegal01, Apr 15, 2017.

1. naturegal01

naturegal01 New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Hello all. I'm a newly smitten chicken lover, who just got her first 6 chicks the other day. After much research, I'd decided to start my addiction (I mean hobby farming) with a couple each of Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Well, upon arriving at the store is when I first suspected a chicken addiction. (and math problem) All was going fine until I saw the bin labeled "Ameraucana Pullets". Of course I looked and saw how adorable they were. After reading good things about them, I decided they'd be a safe "whim", and took a couple home with me. After doing even more research, I see it's hard to get true Amauracanas, outside of a breeder. I'm guessing all the chicks I got were about a week old. Can you tell at this age, what breed they are for sure? Thanks![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First off, you got them at the feed store. Second, no color/variety was specified. Ameraucana have specific colorations, just like your BUFF Orpingtons and your BLACK Australorps. Ameraucana also cost quite a bit more than your average feed store is willing to pay.
    Easter Eggers that are being misrepresented as Ameraucana do not have color/variety specified, and they cost about the same as the other chicks being offered.

3. PNWislandGirl

PNWislandGirl New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Whidbey WA
    [​IMG]They look my "ameraucana" which turned out to be Easter eggers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. naturegal01

naturegal01 New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok. I was just curious if you could tell from looking at them at this age. They were marked as a "rare" breed, and the person there said they knew the man who supplied the chicks that they sold. So, I thought there might be a slight chance of being labeled correctly. Plus, they spelled the name correctly. ;) Also, I had seen them sell "Easter Eggers" before.

5. Clean-Faced Easter Egger.
    Easter Egger=Full tails, Fluffy or not fluffy cheeks called muffs or beard, cost around $4-$5 each
    Americauna=Rumpless, Tufts, Cost much more then a EE.
    No feed stores sell REAL Americauna.A real Americauna is from a breeder or hatchery, cost more, Rumpless, and tufts.

6. naturegal01

naturegal01 New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Awe, yours are so cute. What are the light colored ones? Looks like 2 different breeds?

7. naturegal01

naturegal01 New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok. So, clean-faced Easter Eggers. Thanks so much! Hopefully we'll get some green/blue eggs...hubby's favorite! They ARE adorable, and I'm excited to see how they'll look when they fully mature!!

8. I Belive clean-faced.Because my little girl I had, was clean-faced and looked like that as a chick :)
    Sometimes it's good to be clean-faced, Because two of my EE Pullets, right on the bottom of the pecking order, there little beards are picked off!
    Picking up some No-Pick cream for one of them!

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Ameraucana are not rumpless or tufted. That would be the Araucana, and not a single hatchery has those.

1 person likes this.
  10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No specified color/variety, not Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by