amaurcauna baby doesn't have "cheeks" like others

ChelseysChicken

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
North TX
Picked up four \amercauna/ pullets today and am totally new to the breed but noticed one of the chicks doesn't have the prom cheek feathers...what do y'all think/know..is shet an ee??

Last edited:
The general ri le of thumb is that if they're from a hatchery/feed store, they're EEs, no matter what the website/sign says.

My EEs are from Ideal hatchery. My only muff-less girl is pure white, and looked just like your chick when she was little.

An even better way to make sure you're getting what you think you are is to look for a specific color added to the name Ameraucana--this is especially true if you're buying off eBay or Craigslist. No breeder of Ameraucanas will ever just list "Ameraucanas for sale." Instead, it will be Blue Ameraucanas or BBS Ameraucanas or Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. Since the color of the plumage is so central to the definition of what is an Ameraucana, they will have this information. Another question to ask is whose line they are breeding from, where the original stock came from. They should be able to give you a name.

Unfortunately, all your babies are EEs, not just the smooth cheeked one. Don't despair, though. I've had EE babies that were hatched smooth-faced, but developed puffy cheeks over time. And she may still lay a blue or green egg even without the puffy cheeks; while the presence of a beard is correlated to the blue egg gene, it's not as closely tied as the pea comb gene. If the baby doesn't have a beard OR a pea comb then it might not be an EE and it's far less likely to lay blue or green eggs.

A lot of great info! Thanks y'all! I'm sure glad I wasn't going specifically for that breed or I would be a bit upset! However, Im not specific at all so all is grand :D I really do appreciate the great information as I enjoy learning about chickens! Have a Great Day!!

An even better way to make sure you're getting what you think you are is to look for a specific color added to the name Ameraucana--this is especially true if you're buying off eBay or Craigslist. No breeder of Ameraucanas will ever just list "Ameraucanas for sale." Instead, it will be Blue Ameraucanas or BBS Ameraucanas or Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. Since the color of the plumage is so central to the definition of what is an Ameraucana, they will have this information. Another question to ask is whose line they are breeding from, where the original stock came from. They should be able to give you a name.

Unfortunately, all your babies are EEs, not just the smooth cheeked one. Don't despair, though. I've had EE babies that were hatched smooth-faced, but developed puffy cheeks over time. And she may still lay a blue or green egg even without the puffy cheeks; while the presence of a beard is correlated to the blue egg gene, it's not as closely tied as the pea comb gene. If the baby doesn't have a beard OR a pea comb then it might not be an EE and it's far less likely to lay blue or green eggs.

Here's a link that will further clarify the difference between an Easter Egger, Ameraucanas and Araucanas. :)  http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

thanks a ton!!

Back
Top Bottom