Amazed at cold tolerance

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have read tons on here that they will be fine in the cold, so I have not coddled them in the least in regard to the cooler weather. I think their fuzzy butts are a tad fuzzier. But here my silly girls are out ranging around in 20 mph wind, 40 degree weather spitting rain. They haven't a care in the world. I however am freezing my tush off going out to check on them. when the wind hits their backside it looks like their skirts are lifting:lau.

It will get much colder, but I have resisted the urge to do anything but keep a breeze off them in the coop (plenty of dry well ventilated space for them) but now they have free reign and they choose to be cold.

Last night I went out to close everything up and slipped my hand between several of the girls as they roost side by side, it is better than a heated blanket. Will get to 27 briefly overnight, I have faith they will do well. Thanks for all the great advice! I really am not worried for them.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You have learned well, Jt-sun! [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    When left to their own devices, animals usually know what's better for them & what they can tolerate better than we do.
    Besides, why do you think down comforters are so comfy & warm?!

4. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    All most birds want is a little shelter. When I had guinea fowl they would roost out in their tree all night long even in the worse of storms and be just fine the next morning. They had places to go inside but loved that tree. Drove myself nuts with worry the first winter I had them!

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    there was a night last week...the run door was accidentally shut...

most of my chickens did not make it in that night...went to -0*

....in the morning, they came out of all over the place...2 crawled out of the haystack, and several more were in the pole barn....

they did what they needed to do to keep warm....I double check now, more worried about the local coyote packs then the cold!

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Is it possible a winter chicken was where we got "hand muffs" in victorian times? sometimes we pick up a chicken and warm our hands under their hot wingies. [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Is it possible a winter chicken was where we got "hand muffs" in victorian times? sometimes we pick up a chicken and warm our hands under their hot wingies. [​IMG]

ooh, don't you love getting the eggs...still warm! LOVE it, I cuddle them all the way to the house!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by