Amazing 100% hatch from shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by giggleboxfarm, Jun 11, 2011.

1. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    Ok, so only 4 have hatched right noooow, but the 5th is pipped and the 6th chirped in my ear this morning. But I really really wasn't expecting them to all hatch, especially after reading that I had probably done it wrong. I stuck them a couple hours after receiving them, under my broody chicken - so they didn't have time to let the air bubble gather itself. Sunday I took them from her because her other eggs were due to hatch (surprise 2 already had) and stuck them in my incubator. When I candled them, there were some seriously funky looking aircells on 4. So I figured I had messed that up. Yesterday was day 21. These lavender Orpingtons traveled to KY from Texas, wrapped in bubblewrap individually and then loose in shipping peanuts in a priority mail box.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    WOW... awesome... looks like the post office took it easy this time for you [​IMG]

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes!!! It's great to hear good news for a change! Congrats.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Wow! Congratulations. I will never, ever buy shipped eggs again. I've spent over $90 on shipped eggs in the last 3 months and have yet to have a single one of them hatch. Of course, they all came from the same breeder & the eggs all have had either irregular or detached air cells & the chicks die between days 10 and 15 of incubation because there's not enough room in the shell for them to grow--the air sac is shaped irregularly like an amoeba (IF it is even attached at all) and takes up about half of the inside of the egg. I am told this is a sign of the eggs being old or improperly stored in a warm, dry place (rather than a cool, moderately-tempered environment) prior to shipping.

This last time, when the eggs arrived broken & he didn't bother to line the bottom of the box with bubble wrap, I contacted him and let him know. His response was, "Well I just use whatever I have available. Be grateful I put in extra eggs for you." Not very grateful when you pack them like a 3rd grader did it and NONE of them hatch after you've got $90 of my hard-earned cash, Skippy.

I am so glad for you for your great hatch rate! I can only get those kinds of hatch rates with eggs from my own yard OR local eggs.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] be grateful??? WHAT THE HECK IS THAT??? Im sorry for you and that loser seller who talks to customers like that!

OP congrats that is a great thing to accomplish from shipped eggs [​IMG]

6. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    I always buy eggs from ebay and my hatch rate is very high, I only choose sellers with a ratio of 3 hens to 1 Roo, my current lot have 11 out of 12 fertile and have only lost 3 chicks to hatching in two years ! I think UK post don't play rugby so much with our eggs !

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:[​IMG] be grateful??? WHAT THE HECK IS THAT??? Im sorry for you and that loser seller who talks to customers like that!

Yeah. He's a BYCer too, no less. He knows who he is. I have heard other people say they have had a few eggs hatch, but never knew of anyone who had a high hatch rate from this guy. Such a shame cuz he has really nice birds/breeding stock.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Yeah. He's a BYCer too, no less. He knows who he is. I have heard other people say they have had a few eggs hatch, but never knew of anyone who had a high hatch rate from this guy. Such a shame cuz he has really nice birds/breeding stock.

UGH That would make it worse for me! I trust BYCer's ( all though not 100% as Ive seen a few bad eggs through the last few years) more so than any other chicken folks

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Congrats [​IMG] ...FYI...don't care what anyone days, u can't improve an air cell by letting them sit. Physically not possible. The only reason to let them set is if they are real cold so they don't sweat when you put them in the bator from an extreme temp swing. Good luck with the chicks...

10. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Was your incubator a homemade one??? Am waiting for my fertile eggs to arrive today, and have been trying to tweek my incubator temps to keep them at (air) 99-101, not easy:( i finally made a water wiggler, and the temps are 98-100, all depends on if its facing the light or not!!![​IMG] my first attempt at incubating.
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by