Amazing and amusing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wxguru, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I am a first time chicken owner and have 5 day old chicks....that showed up when they were 2 days old. It is amazing to watch their natural instincts kick in. Only having to dip the beaks to let them know to drink...and they do it from then on. Pecking around even without a true mother hen.
    And the amusement! Running,fluttering, griping at each other over food at times, and my favorite that started at 4 days old...starting to scratch in the litter. It appears mainly like a happy dance right now...lol but one of the BO's has it down and really tosses litter around! Our little golden buff doest it when she is eating from the feeder. Enough so that she has created a crater where she was standing when she walks away. They are such a joy to watch. Gooooood stress relief. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    So cute when there that little :D

3. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Chicks are hilarious to watch. Glad you are having fun with them! One of my chicks loved to pose for the camera!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Wxguru

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    That's great!!!

5. Wxguru

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Introduced a Mirror to the girls....absolutely cute...they like looking at themselves. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Awww!!!!

7. Meelar

Meelar New Egg

Oct 29, 2014
    Quite photogenic!

8. Wxguru

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Latest amusement: I put a dust bath in 3 days ago....until last night they spent any time in it pecking sand and just general scratching in it. Well, last night I happened to be standing there when one of the girls was laying low in it, and next thing I know, she is flapping her right wing and slinging sand on herself and the other one occupying the box. She then moved and flapped the left wing in the sand tossing it up and over her back. First dust bath!!! 3 were watching...hope they paid attention. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Chicks are so much fun, and they really are great stress relief. I love watching them learn to dust bathe, and seeing them scratch their tiny little feet in the litter is one of the cutest things EVER. [​IMG]

10. mminer13

mminer13 New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Our 6 day old babies have recently discovered that they can hop and flap their wings around. It's very uncoordinated, but adorable. I started noticing them scratching in the litter at 3-4 days old. Amazing how their instincts kick in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by