Amazing Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jewellan, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Jewellan

Jewellan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Reno Nevada
    Little Baby Chicks are so amazing! This little girl, who I have named "Queen Ninja" was at death's door when she arrived Monday. Five of her clutch mates did not survive. The hatchery forgot to put the heat packs in the box with the chicks when they were shipped (from Missouri to Nevada!). I thought I was going to loose her too, she was SO cold, and could not lift her head or open her eyes. But I held her under the heat lamp for so long that my hands started to burn, then I got a syringe and forced some very warm sugar water down her. Then I waited. The other chicks would not go near her. She wasn't moving, but she was breathing. In another half hour I gave her more sugar water, and she began to kick. Another half hour and more water and she was trying to lift her head. SO I put her on her stomach to get her off of her side, and low and behold, in just another half hour she looked like.....

[​IMG]

THIS!!!!!!!!! What a Girl! I went to bed but I continued to get up and give her Sugar water for about half the night.
    [​IMG]

Now 4 days later she is Feisty and doesn't take any crap from the other chicks, she is the smallest of them but she is clearly at the top of the pecking order of the 4 chicks that survived. I don't know if she is a Welsummer or a Speckled Sussex, but she is all mine and I just adore her for her strength.

[​IMG]

Her other three clutch mates are.......

Fawn...a Golden Comet
    [​IMG]

Honey.....A Golden Comet

[​IMG]

And Spirit .... She is a Black Australorp or a Cockoo Maran. I don't think she is a Black Copper Maran, she has no hair on her legs, but of the chicks that I ordered, those are the three possibilities that could be her breed.

[​IMG]

I am really amazed that any of them lived through the shipping with NO heat pack. Chickens for Backyards was very upset about it and they are reshipping the ones that dies to me at no cost, but it was very traumatic to lose living creatures because of a dumb error. I was impressed with Cindy...the woman in purchasing that took my call....she was very professional and very sympathetic. I will however, never order chicks again when it is cold. That lesson is learned. I just hope that the reship goes well on the 9th. [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I've got to say that's amazing, I hope you can get those new chicks all safe and healthy next time.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

This chick is a cuckoo Marans. The white spot on the head indicated the bird is barred or cuckoo colored. A solid black bird like the Aussie or BCM would have a solid dark head.

4. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Way to go chick Momma...so glad she pulled through!
    Your miracle baby looks exactly like my Welsummer that I picked up today ;)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by