1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AMAZING discovery in an old coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KatieBugg, Jun 29, 2011.

1. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I have a coop that is probably 25 years old or older that was on the property when we bought it. I had what I thought was a dirt floor until yesterday evening (we just got the coop going this spring). I was trying to dig some wet stinky dirt out due to torential rains a couple of days ago, well I got the grain shovel and started going at it and I heard and felt a big scrape on something really hard, undrneath about 6-8 inches of OLD dirt, poop and crud, was concrete!!!! Needless to say I spent the evening and most of today digging everything out and putting all new wood chips down. I am so excited that I found concrete as I was having a terrible time making DLM work for me because of odor, now I know why! I feel like a total fool tho as I spent the money to attach a hardware cloth apron around the whole outside of the coop, can we say overkill [​IMG] I did see concrete and truly thought it was just the footing for the building. On the downside I now have to fix a leak in the roof that was discoverd through the storm, time for a metal roof [​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    awesome! [​IMG]

3. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    SWEET! Lucky you!

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Awesome!

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I am so excited that I found concrete as I was having a terrible time making DLM work for me because of odor, now I know why!

On the downside I now have to fix a leak in the roof that was discoverd through the storm, time for a metal roof

The odor was because of the excess moisture​

6. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Now THATS real buried treasure! [​IMG]

7. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Quote:
    On the downside I now have to fix a leak in the roof that was discoverd through the storm, time for a metal roof

The odor was because of the excess moisture​

Yeah I figured that out after doing some reading here last night about it. I think when hubby gets home and we get the roof fixed, I think it will make a big difference.

8. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    That's super! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by