1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amazing duck hatching story

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Senna95, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I collect my eggs twice a day, and put them in the spare bedroom till I set them in the incubator, or find them a new home.

So last week Wednesday I shipped out 9 eggs to someone in California. And...................This morning I get an email from the buyer that one of her eggs is hatching!!!!!!!

Apparently what happened is this:

I'd set a few duck eggs under a broody hen 4 weeks ago. All my ducks lay under the big tree, about 50 feet (or more) away from the setting hen. There are tree trunks, and a 3-foot tall, steep hill between the nests: but SOMEHOW one of my girls (ducks) STOLE and egg from the setting hen when she was up eating, ROLLED it up the hill and AROUND the tree trunk and put it in her make-shift nest, where I picked it up the morning I shipped the eggs. Now, I usually candle my eggs, but I assumed that this was a fresh egg since it wasn't there the evening before.

It survived being wrapped in bubble wrap, packed in a box, and the post-office trip, and hatched a week later in her incubator!!!

Wow, immagine that!

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    wow that is crazy!

3. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    What an exciting thing for the person you sent it to! Can you even imagine.......having to wait 28 days.......but, not really?

Can't believe the baby survived. How exciting.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Was the egg sold to a BYC member? I thought I had heard a story this morning about how someone received some eggs and it hatched a short time later. Or, maybe it was someone on Facebook as I also belong to a duck group there, too.

5. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Actually, it was on ebay

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  7. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    that is amazing!! Glad the baby made it [​IMG]

8. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I for one, don't have to imagine this!! The duckling is doing great in my office with my incubator! Its an amazing story of survival on this egg! Of course, Senna had done a fabulous job of packaging so that had to have helped. I'll try to post pics this afternoon when I get my camera home! [​IMG]

Quote:

9. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    This makes me think if we can sell incubated eggs may be by adding a heat pack if needed [​IMG]

this will be crazy I know

but it may work

10. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] THAT'S A MIRACLE !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by