AmAZING EgG mYstEry!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackyardCountry, Sep 16, 2011.

1. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    We just got our first egg today!!! hooray!! [​IMG] but something was weird...there were two. Is it possible to lay two eggs at once??

(also please read newest post, the longer one and reply to that. thanks!)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! A double whammy! [​IMG]

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG] Congratulations! I remember how excited I was the day I found my first egg. Do you only have one hen?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    More likely you have 2 girls laying.

5. soccerbabiesmama

soccerbabiesmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Yeah! Glad that you got an egg!

6. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    I went out again about 6 hours after i found the first two and...there was another egg just sitting there! three first eggs in one day!! now to find out who layed them....but this is weird...my oldest hen (i have 5) lays darkish brown eggs (she is an australorp) but the eggs i found were really light, almost cream. i have an orpington, rhode island red, wyandotte, and easter egger. who layed the eggs??? any ideas?? please help!!

7. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Good question. I have 2 sets of pullets. The two leghorns do everything together.They started laying at the same time and they use the same nest. I've seen them both in the nest box together.
    The 3 other pullets are 14 weeks and 3 different breeds. They do everything together Eat,sleep and scratch. The leghorns bully them and they stay out of their way.They don't know they are different breeds. I think they all get on the same cycle at the same time. We shall see...I will let ya know if this is true. The 3 are the same age.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Unlikely to be the EE but could have been any of the other three. The brown egg layers tend to lay varying colors of brown from cream to dark tan.

9. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:The easter egger is out...usually those are either greenish/blue or pinkish. You'll know when you find it's first egg! [​IMG]

My wyandottes lay creamish colored eggs. I'm new with the RIR's but my pullets eggs seem to be more darker than cream....a brownish color...
    I'm waiting to see what or if my orp started to lay yet....can't catch her in the nest but she's 'red wattled' and I'm assuming that along with the rest of the 23 week olds ...that she's gotta be. [​IMG]

Congrats!!

~Tammy

10. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    "The easter egger is out...usually those are either greenish/blue or pinkish. You'll know when you find it's first egg!"

Not so fast...I found out that they mystery brown egg I find daily is from my white Easter Egger! Wahhhhhh....but still delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by