Amazing Geese tell me how yours made your day today!

Pics

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
My geese seem to make everyday a little better for me but some days are just so special! I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we just get to brag on them. After all they are family friends and a part of our day. So please tell me your stories Id love to hear them.
The inspiration to this thread was a week ago. I had spent the spring summer walking 3 different groups of geese into 3 different entrances and pens in the barn they refused to be in the same pen together. Then all of a sudden last week I walked out into the yard and said "HOME" there key word to go to there pens and all of a sudden all 12 headed for the main entrance to the barn and went in together. Didnt sleep to well that night listening for any fights 6 of them a ganders. Next morning they all came out not a scratch and flapping there wings together doing there good morning flight arount the yard. They have been sleeping together ever since. They have also been nesting together in the yard. I guess they just decided to become one big flock.

My American Buff geese, Gussie and Golly, crack me up nearly every day.

They will walk up to a lone chicken and nip -- as long as the hen doesn't turn around. Then, the two big bullies run away as fast as they can.

Much as a cat will try to fit into the smallest possible box, the goose girls seem to delight in trying to bathe in tiny water dishes -- even though pools are available.

One of their favorite "hobbies" is bothering the runner ducks. My runners generally walk in parade fashion, one by one. The geese will roust the resting ducks, creating a parade formation of 10 runners, and herd the ducks across the yard.

Also, for no apparent reason, Gussie and Golly will go from a complete rest to running at top speed down the driveway, flapping their wings and achieving "liftoff" for about three seconds.

I captured one of my favorite goose moments in a photo. I'd been cleaning coops and had to come into the house. I came out to find Gussie running around with one of my yellow cleaning gloves in her mouth. Clearly, I wasn't doing my job well enough, she may have intended to replace me, and she was extremely reluctant to give back the glove.

Geese are great entertainment!

They are endlessly entertaining...and naughty! Yesterday, I caught a gander poking his head through a fence to reach a soundly sleeping pig. He pulled on the boar's back hair and then moved down to his tail and gave it a good yank. The boar finally became annoyed and moved away, but the gander didn't look remorseful at all.

They like to noodle everything, like the handles on buckets, and they'll try to take off with them (fortunately, it's a bit awkward for a goose or gander to pull an empty 5-gallon bucket away with them, so they're easily retrieved). It does add time to getting my work done when I'm chasing geese around and trying to prevent them from tipping over feeding bowls, etc., but I consider the distractions to just be a part of the routine. 😂

I've been surprised how much I enjoy my geese. We'll see if I still feel the same after going through a spring season with the ganders, but I love them. 🥰
My juvenile buff/pilgrim mixes will walk up to me, arching their necks and looking at me suspiciously while making their conversational noises. Plus it's fun when I let them out in the morning... They run straight up the hill with their wings out, honking loudly. They greet the day with joy!

I’ve been bringing my gander Roxby inside at night because he hasn’t been feeling well, he made my day by climbing on my lap and nuzzling me last night when I brought him in.
Geese can be such sweeethearts, but I love their feisty troublesome side too!
My big gander Leo loves charging me and trying to get some bites in, it used to annoy me but he does it to protect his flock and it gives him purpose and makes him so happy, nothing makes his day like feeling like he “defeated” me, which makes me laugh!

I love how they’re all such individuals, they’re all unique. I love how sweet and spicy my Delphi is. She’s a tiny quiet sweetpea but also a queen. She doesn’t let anyone push her around. When she was a year old Leo grabbed her too rough by the back of the neck in the pool and pulled some feathers out, she turned around, grabbed him by the neck and she must have bit as hard as she could because he jumped out of the pool and ran around the yard dragging her behind him because she wouldn’t let go! 🤣
He’s never pulled feathers out since!

When she was a year old Leo grabbed her too rough by the back of the neck in the pool and pulled some feathers out, she turned around, grabbed him by the neck and she must have bit as hard as she could because he jumped out of the pool and ran around the yard dragging her behind him because she wouldn’t let go! 🤣
Pop Tv Goodbye GIF by Schitt's Creek

First, a little backstory: I lost my 8-year-old imprinted goose in March this year. As much as I mourned her, my gander Jensen was devastated. Luckily, I was able to find him a Toulouse goose from last year, and they're now a happy couple.

My hopes of bonding with an adult goose were not high, but Magda has turned out to be very easy-going. We go for walks every day and sometimes visit other people's yards.

Last week, I was doing some work just outside my yard and as per usual, I let the geese follow me, so they could get to weed my neighbor's hedge. However, this time the geese apparently decided they were loooong overdue for a walk, and after a few honk-honk-honks to inform me of their decision, they just started walking down the road. I tried to call them back, but they were having none of it.

So I ran back to the house to get my keys and their treats. Then I heard Magda calling "Honkedihonk! Honkedihonk!" Usually, this is her call for when she's got lost from Jensen. I quickly locked my door, ready to follow them and find out what was wrong, when I saw Magda coming back through the gate, closely followed by Jensen. She actually came back for me! She was calling ME! She didn't want to go without me!

I felt so special being accepted by her as a member of her gaggle. It didn't just make my day; it made my entire month.

First, a little backstory: I lost my 8-year-old imprinted goose in March this year. As much as I mourned her, my gander Jensen was devastated. Luckily, I was able to find him a Toulouse goose from last year, and they're now a happy couple.

My hopes of bonding with an adult goose were not high, but Magda has turned out to be very easy-going. We go for walks every day and sometimes visit other people's yards.

Last week, I was doing some work just outside my yard and as per usual, I let the geese follow me, so they could get to weed my neighbor's hedge. However, this time the geese apparently decided they were loooong overdue for a walk, and after a few honk-honk-honks to inform me of their decision, they just started walking down the road. I tried to call them back, but they were having none of it.

So I ran back to the house to get my keys and their treats. Then I heard Magda calling "Honkedihonk! Honkedihonk!" Usually, this is her call for when she's got lost from Jensen. I quickly locked my door, ready to follow them and find out what was wrong, when I saw Magda coming back through the gate, closely followed by Jensen. She actually came back for me! She was calling ME! She didn't want to go without me!

I felt so special being accepted by her as a member of her gaggle. It didn't just make my day; it made my entire month.
Oh, my heart! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom