Amazing goats milk caramel!

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
Goats milk caramel

Ingredients:

4 cups goats milk (you could probably use cows milk if you want) (I use raw milk even though the original recipe calls for pastuized)

3/4 of a cup to 1 cup or granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda. ( the baking soda helps make the caramel get then caramel color)

1 vanilla pod it about a teaspoon of vanilla extract. ( I prefer using the extract)

Directions:

Grab a big pot! If you have a big deep pot you are less likely to be splashed with hot milk while stirring your caramel!
Once you have your big pot put it on a burner and set it to about a medium heat, pour the goats milk in (4 cups) and then pour the sugar in ( about a cup)
After that add the baking soda in (1/2 of a teaspoon + 1/8 of a teaspoon) and the vanilla ( one pod or about a teaspoon and a half of vanilla extract) stir this together until it gets foamy or reaches a simmer ( until it gets to a simmer you don't have to stir all the time)
Once it reaches a simmer stir consistently with some sort of heat resistant thing. ( I use a rubber spatula) it is very important to scape both the bottom of the pot and the sides very often! You definitely don't want burnt caramel!!! I have found that you can leave your caramel in the pot simmering for about 30 seconds to a minute without it burning. It usually takes an hour or more to get it into a good caramel consistency. It's up to you to figure out what consistency you want your caramel to get to. Once it's done you have to rush to get it where you want it to go, the first time I made this caramel it was to go on caramel apples and we had to rush to get the apples covered before the caramel hardened.

This recipe makes 1 to 2 cups of caramel. I like to just put in in a jar and put the jar into the fridge. The caramel gets to a perfect consistency if it is left in the fridge for a day or two.

For more in depth instructions click here: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/cajeta-mexican-vanilla-caramel-recipe.html

Tips: if you add to much baking soda don't worry it won't be a normal caramel color, but it will taste just as good!!!

I usually turn up the heat to make it go faster.

Let me know if you try it!!

Back
Top Bottom