Amazing - He's alive

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lippincott'sHomegrown, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Lippincott'sHomegrown

Lippincott'sHomegrown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Simonton, Tx
    When my husband got home from work, he called me to come out because a red tailed hawk was in the field with fluffy white feathers all around it. He wanted me to see what had killed my silkie roo. I brought my camera for some reason. I took a photo, and then to my amazement, the roo ran away from the hawk and the hawk just stayed there on the ground. It was so weird. After the hawk flew up into a tree, I went to find the roo and see what the damage was, thinking it would be terrible. Well after checking everywhere, he only had a tiny spot of blood on his thigh where feathers had been pulled. He is just fine! I think he needs a new cool name now that he is a hawk survivor. After making sure he was OK, the search began for my other two silkies. I assumed the hawk had taken them, since there were no feathers or signs of them anywhere. The calves were eating hay at a round bale and I didn't think anything of it until one stepped forward and scared out the splash pullet. She was hiding under the hay on the ground. Then, I found the other one, pinned under the roost bar in the chicken tractor. She looked pretty bad, kind of smashed under the bar with one wing up. I thought for sure she was a goner. I picked her up thinking she was going to be a mess, but found that she was perfectly fine too, just hiding in the tightest place she could find, I guess. Amazing, everyone survived! So happy!

[​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    wow.....lucky....verylucky:)

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Very lucky indeed. I wasnt so lucky a couple of weeks ago when a hawk got one of my big Barred Rock hens.

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, how thrilling -- and I tend to think of silkies as more delicate than other breeds. That is one tough roo you've got. (Great picture too.) I'm really glad your babies are all right ♥

Jenny

5. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I watched a hawk scoping out my chickens today. But my run is completely enclosed, so it didn't even try. Sadly, hawks are a big part of why my chickens don't get to free range.

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Call Me Chicken, a 10 minute portion of film about Liza the Silkie hen and her encounter with a you-know-what! Have you seen this?

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Call Me Chicken, a 10 minute portion of film about Liza the Silkie hen and her encounter with a you-know-what! Have you seen this?

I loved it! It's a little long, but entertaining all the way through.​

8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Name suggestion for your roo--"Rambo." Big-time "combat" survivor.

9. Campngolf

Campngolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Nor Cal
    It's great to hear your story. Who doesn't like a happy ending. One tough roo for sure.

10. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    That's just amazing! [​IMG] We don't have hawks here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by