Amazing mother love.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Buckie quine, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Buckie quine

Buckie quine New Egg

May 10, 2015
    Several weeks ago I took my two cockerels to auction as I did'nt want anymore chicks. Four days later a little hen found the three eggs laid that day and laid claim to them. I told her she was out of luck and dually marked them with a big black cross and left her to it. The customary 21 days came and went. On day 23 I was amazed to hear a chick. Two days later another one appeared, a grey baby this time. Now two days later another one is being hatched as we speak. ! Not only do I see this as a miracle all my hens and both cockerels were black. Aracuna x Frizzels. . Unless someone is hiding their light under a bushel there is something going on I don't understand. Today another hen has found herself an egg. I await with baited breath!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hens can retain fertility for up to a month after a rooster has been removed from the flock. It tapers off as time goes by 2 weeks of high fertility, 3rd week moderate fertility, 4th week occasional fertility. Other animals also have this ability to varying degrees.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congratulations on your new (surprise) chicks! [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

x 2!
    I didn't know this sourland, thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by