Amazing personalities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ridgefire, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I am starting to learn each of their personalities. I have the bully, the Godhen, the clown, the peacekeeper, the look out, the scratcher, the builder, the outsider

The bully likes to push all the other chicks around, she lets no other chick get in her way.

The Godhen is the top of the pecking order so far. You can just tell she is in charge in there. We will see how long her rein lasts.

The clown, well that one just keeps you laughing the whole time.

The peacekeeper tries to keep the peace, if there is any squabble happening she comes running to try and break it up.

The look out is always found on top of the roost where she can see me coming. They will be making one heck of a racket in their brooder, but as soon as you enter the room it stops, and you just have the look out, staring at you like "What???"

The scratcher now she is one strange chick. She spends her entire day just scratching through the shavings. I clean the brooder, level all the shavings she just goes nuts digging, like I might have buried something in there for her.

The builder also spends all day moving shavings, but she is making for a lack of a better word a nest. She makes a perfect bowl for her to lay in, she smooths all the shavings in the bowl, then just lays there.

The outsider I never see with the other chicks, she is just chilling in the outer area of the group. She seems happy, and healthy, she apparently doesn't like the others or they don't like her.

2. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    They sound so cute!

Mine have similar habits. When the one isn't eating, sleeping or pooping it is trying to fly out (he doesn't get close, but he still tries). Two of them scratch in the shavings all day together. I have one that builds perfect nests in the shavings too. They are so fun to watch. When I touch the Alpha male all the other chicks come over to me and get loud. When I pick up any other chick they run.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How precious. Mine have similar habits. I do not have a builder.

I have a lookout, a peacekeeper, a scratcher, a Mizz Bossy, a second in command and a parrot. [​IMG]

My SLW is suffering a identity crisis. She flys out of the brooder and onto my shoulder where she happily perches. she also comes looking for me no matter where I am in the house. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I have a squawker. Boy, she is loud. She seems happy and healthy, but she is one talktative little Australorp. [​IMG]

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    My 3 RIRs are the first ones to run up and greet me when I come to the brooder and they climb right onto my hand. The speckled sussexes(sp?) don't really like being picked up and let me know it very loudly! The BOs and the golden comets were the first to try out the roost. The SLWs are the calmest ones. The EEs are pretty curious, too.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    all of mine are followers except one, (he is a rebel) when one decides to eat they all eat, when one decides to drink they all dink, when one tries to "fly" across the brooder so do the rest.

7. CoopD'Etat

CoopD'Etat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Isn't that great? I have a hen ( Pandora) who is so smart! She teaches everyone bad tricks like how to escape from the chicken yard :)Too curious for her own good...

I also have a hen with a gimpy foot who loves to run in a pegleg/piratey sort of way.

And a screamer. She follows you around the yard and screams about whatever you are doing. Oi vey! Some times my husband yells back as a joke and she loves it! She just gets louder.

I don't think that people realize how much fun chickens and their personalities are until they get some and see how different each one is!

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    CoopD'Etat :

I also have a hen with a gimpy foot who loves to run in a pegleg/piratey sort of way.

should have named her i-hop:)

9. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by