Amazing -- wild horses in the Bahamas, and only FIVE LEFT!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Blue_Myst, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Who knew that there were wild horses on Great Abaco?! Not only wild horses, but gorgeous wild horses! http://www.arkwild.org/ Then again, I am a sucker for paint horses [​IMG]

Their story is sad, but worth a read! Apparently humans hunted the horses from a population of 200 to just 3 horses in the 1960's, and today there are 5 left! [​IMG] They are the most endangered breed of horse on the planet.

I guess this just goes to show how much havoc habitat destruction can bring, even decades later.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thank you for sharing this great information...I have no problem writing emails or letters to help them get on the shows.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Things like that are sad. It reminds me of the American Bison dwindling down to almost nothing before they were moved to Catalina Island and dubbed off limits. I love going over there and watching them in their natural habitat. I know there are now more in the US, but moving a few over there have increased their population quite a bit.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think they'd have more luck getting folks to donate if they had more pics, perhaps videos etc... names of the remaining five horses, etc...

5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    hunting is the reason the DoDos became extinct... imagine how cool it would be to have "BackyardDoDos.com"

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I am suspecious about the website....

Even with the visitors comments, there are no names, just quotes. If there is any validity, they should have at least names and where they live.

The stories on there are repeated too often about the desruction of habitat for the horses, we do know THAT but it is not often on the news.

If they cared about the horses so much, perhaps a band of farmers can set aside a farm just for them, get them back on track and repopulate as necessary. OR find a private breeder in the US that can take on this project....it has been done successfully like the Paso Finos.

Too many pictures of horses, cropped and paste, like that running overo......to pretty up the website. I am not interested in looking at vegetations and plants. It needs to sell better, with better photos, names of horses (I saw a few horses that has MORE than five horse running around).

Good luck but I will not donate until I find out more about them and what they can sell me to save the Abaco Barbs. Speaking of Barbs, there are Paso finos having the Barb traits which the Puerto Ricans do have some in their lines.

7. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
  8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I think they'd have more luck getting folks to donate if they had more pics, perhaps videos etc... names of the remaining five horses, etc...

I agree. I've checked this site on and off for a few years and the only thing I've seen change is the newsletter. . . there are pictures and videos, but you have to do a bit of digging to get to them. [​IMG] I think they'd get a lot more traffic and a better reputation if they hired someone to update and organize their site more effectively.

If they cared about the horses so much, perhaps a band of farmers can set aside a farm just for them, get them back on track and repopulate as necessary. OR find a private breeder in the US that can take on this project....it has been done successfully like the Paso Finos.

Too many pictures of horses, cropped and paste, like that running overo......to pretty up the website. I am not interested in looking at vegetations and plants. It needs to sell better, with better photos, names of horses (I saw a few horses that has MORE than five horse running around).

You do raise a good question about the validity, something I've thought about since I found the site. I was suspicious until I read a range of other sources that complimented the info on the website and their cause. They need to showcase more on their website, and make it easy to find.

They do have a preserve and farm for the horses. If they didn't, they would have been dead long ago. I think overall they want to keep the horses in their native habitat, not import them off-site, as they try not to handle them too much, but I don't know [​IMG] As for the pictures of more than five horses. . . there used to be way more than five and I guess they still wanted to show the horses that had died.

imagine how cool it would be to have "BackyardDoDos.com"

[​IMG] If they were more addicting than chickens, the world would be in trouble! There is barely enough room for the chickens and ducks!​

9. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:[​IMG] If they were more addicting than chickens, the world would be in trouble! There is barely enough room for the chickens and ducks!

I say if they were still around they would be the 1st or 2nd favorite poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by