Amber almost hung herself- panting very rapidly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Godiva, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    We are having quite the time of it the last few days. We are down to 2 pet bantams and about an hour ago DD asked to go out and say goodnight to the birds. I almost said no but relented and said ok, just to the gate of the coop. Well she stepped out of the door and then screamed and ran to the coop. AMber (d'Uccle) had tried to fly onto the top of the coop (a camper shell on top of haybales at the moment) and had by some fluke got her head caught through the little hydraulic lift bar and was hanging there flapping intermittently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] DD in the midst of her terror did the right thing and gently lifted her out, she was almost unconscious and her comb was purplish. I got there moments later, poor DD and DS whose bird it is were freaking out thinking she was dead.... But she was still breathing - kind of gasping breaths. After a few moments she raised her head up slightly and started panting super fast and has been for about 45 minutes.... she is slowing down now and has her beak closed on and off, looking more herself. I have her in a little pet carrier with some water in the house so I can keep an eye on her. I think she may have hurt her right wing as she is holding it a little strangely... I don't want to mess with her right now though, trying to keep it as quiet as possible so she can just get back to breathing normally. I am concerned that she may get swelling in her neck that could obstruct her breathing - do you think that could happen and is there anything I can do? Or is it just best to watch and let her rest? She is looking around and has shifted position to something more comfortable now. This is our last d'Uccle. The other was DD's pet and died through a horrid accident at her hands a few months ago.

2. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    She seems to be dropping off to sleep and her breathing is almost normal again... poor little thing - I know it was probably a total 'fluke' but I am going to come up with a different plan for the coop where I remove a hay bale for them to get in and out and leave the 'door' down. Am also going to raise the height of the netting above it so no-one gets caught in it. I have the heebie-jeebies now ....shiver! We'll see how she is in the morning, hopefully no substantial injuries and hopefully her throat doesn't swell up - not sure what the anatomy is like in comparison with ours ... I'm an RN not a vet!

3. charsbird

charsbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    How is Amber this morning?

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    She will likely be sore this morning but I have hope for this little lady!

5. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Amber is her spunky self this morning! She is definitely a little stiff and I am mixing up a mash for her to eat since it seems it hurts to swallow the pellets. She was hungry and went straight to the feeder but only ate two pellets before heading out again. Usually she'll stuff herself in the morning. But, her wing seems ok, she used it right away when I let her out, it may be a little bruised but you can't tell from how she's using it. A little stiff in one of her legs but again really not bad. She is 'talking' her happy talk and the kids are SO THRILLED! I could hardly get them to sleep last night as they kept coming through to check on her. SO relieved!

6. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great update!

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Well, she gobbled down the oat and kefir mash! All is well, busy having a dust bath as we 'speak'! [​IMG]

8. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    Thank goodness! Glad she is OK. [​IMG]

9. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    She is doing great - except that her neck is obviously really tender and strained. Too pathetic watching her trying to wipe her beak on the ground to clean the wet food off. I am hoping that another nights rest will get her back on track. She had a slow day today, poor thing is in the middle of a very heavy molt too ... seems she has been molting forever. Just the last of her head and neck feathers to grow in and then she'll be done. Her muff and beard are looking gorgeous even though she still has some pin feathers. Unfortunately her foot feathers are breaking off already - they are a good 4 inches long before they break. She looks really funny from some angles [​IMG]

10. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    So glad she is doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by