Amber links or isa Browns? Pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ONZAcres, May 17, 2016.

1. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I got 12 of these guys at my local sale barn for a quarter at 3 days old. They were labeled white heavys and I figured they were a Cornish rock and no one wanted them. Now I think they were a sex link breed and all makes which is why no one wanted them. I also got a box of BO but some of them seem to red. [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Which birds do you need help identifying? The White bird with red patches looks like a Red sex-link cockerel.

3. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL

All of them. That's what I thought too was red sex link cockerel but some of them have no spots at all and buff rings around the neck which leads me to amber links.

The Reds are all suppose to be buff orphingtons but I only see one true buff.

4. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL
    The first two were labeled "white heavies"
    [​IMG]

These were labeled buff Orpington
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I'm just not sure if these are crosses or true breeds or sex. Please help!!!! Need to make a decision by Friday if they are staying or going back to sale barn!!

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  5. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Do you know how old they are? Your "Buff Orpington" looks like a Production Red pullet. It is hard to tell but they white ones don't look very rooish. Does the one that looks solid white have any red?

6. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL
    They are all 8 1/2 weeks old. The white ones have vet light buff around the neck.

7. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I guess it could be BO, I can'r really tell for the picture becasue the coloring is odd.

8. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL
    Some of the darker red in the above picture are getting black on the wing tips. They look like pullets to me except maybe one. I'm more concerned with what the white with red spots are. I've narrowed down to amber link red sex link and isa Browns.

9. ONZAcres

ONZAcres Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Altona, IL
    Some better pictures of the whites in question
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Maybe they are some type of Cornish? Which is a meat bird so it would be considered a "heavy" breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by