Amber Star quit laying 1 1/2 years ago after her first summer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madamedespoules, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Madamedespoules

Madamedespoules Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi..... I'm a a loss as to why my Amber Star chicken, who laid an egg every day almost for her first summer, suddenly had eggs with soft shells and then quit laying eggs completely. Now, over a year and a half later she still hasn't resumed laying. Nevertheless, almost every day she will go sit in a nest box and fuss about like she did when she was laying eggs. I've done the calcium thing, and that had no effect at all. I've read all of the usual reasons why chickens quit laying eggs, but none of them seem to apply....Our other chickens stop and start, molt and do all of the normal things....Any ideas?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Here is my Idea. NATURE. Just like some people cant have children, some chickens develop similar conditions not to lay eggs. I have an Old English Game Hen bantam, for over 2 years. Got her as a young pullet. . She has only laid maybe 3 eggs in her life so far. At first I thought that it might be a rooster. Now I think she is just stuck BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL. [​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have to agree some chickens lay like crazy for a long time some hardly ever lay. I have cochins that may lay 2-3 eggs and then quit for months and time of year means nothing to them. Sometimes they lay in spring and sometimes in winter you never know. If they weren't so funny running around the yard i would have dumped them a long time ago. I've had other cochins from the same line that layed well so who knows?

4. Madamedespoules

Aug 20, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well, thanks for the interesting comments. the chicken in question here has never had a full molt. Does anyone think inducing her to molt would/could do any good? She's one of my favorite hens and she tries so hard to lay an egg. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this idea?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked to see how her abdomen feels? Can you post a picture of her?

6. Madamedespoules

Aug 20, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have checked how her abdomen feels, but it feels a lot like the others.....She looks like any other Amber Star....what would you want to see specifically from the pic????? Just curious as if there's something specific I can get a pic of her tomorrow. It's seriously below zero outside today. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by