ameiaucana egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by d3rabbitry, Feb 2, 2013.

1. d3rabbitry

d3rabbitry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Winchester NH
    My hens just starting laying about a month ago and at first they were laying a decent blue color.Now the eggs have turned a light ugly green and have a weird rough texture to them as well.What can I do to help this problem.

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Chicken don't usually change the color eggs they lay. Maybe you have a new layer laying? The rough texture is calcium deposits.

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My EEers eggs vary in color from olive to green to green/brown, it depends on her diet. She is the only one laying a jumbo egg, the other EEer has just started laying and she is a tiny thing and laying a small blue egg, all my other hens lay brown eggs.

4. d3rabbitry

Jul 7, 2012
    Winchester NH
    Maybe one stoped laying and one of the other young ones started not sure will the calcium deposits clear on there own or is there something I need to do

5. d3rabbitry

Jul 7, 2012
    Winchester NH
    sorry about my spelling ameraucanas and they are pure got them from somebody listed on the ameraucana breeders listings

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  7. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    A BR I have sometimes lays rough white spotted eggs, for her it is a calcium balance thing. Since she got used to having oyster shell (free to get all she wants) it cleared and only returned once more for 2 days.
    Got pics of the egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by