Ameracana Moulting-question on rapid moult

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Penske, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hello!

My Ameracauna (1.5 years old) is moulting now. It started maybe a few weeks ago, and now she is really bare! Has quills coming in (about 1/2" long) on breast, wings, neck, back...is it possible that she is growing them all at once?? Does this mean she is a rapid moulter??

She's a great layer--4 eggs a week. Last egg was 2 weeks ago.

All other conditions are great. No stressors. Lots of space. Clean coop. Clean water, etc. I have been giving them extra BOSS for two months now as some of the other hens and the roo went through their molts (starting in August). Betsy has the sense to go into the coop when she gets chilled outside.

There are piles of feathers on the roost under her each morning!

Anything else to do?

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No, just keep the protein snacks coming and they'll be fine. I have a hen that was naked one day and now looks (and feels!) like a pincushion. She's actually my best layer.
    I've been told the rapid molters are the ones you want to breed, if you breed at all. The quicker they molt, the faster they get back to laying and that's a good thing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thanks so much!

It is so stormy here today--winds up to 60mph and rain and cold. I am keeping them all in today, just to keep her in. She would otherwise run out, get soaked (it's raining sideways under the covered part of the run!) and she'll get chilled for sure. I've only ever kept them twice b/c of single digit temps last winter with 50 mph wind...

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by