Ameracana roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by L&Schickens, Jul 2, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    A long time ago I was given an Ameracana rooster because he was so mean. I thought I would be fine with him, but no. He ended up being dinner for someone as I gave him away also.
    I was given 2 more just a few weeks ago. One is not that bad, but I don't turn my back on him and the other one is worse.
    I also have a bantam Ameracana rooster who is 4 months old and now starting to "Dance" at me. I slap him away from me when he does it.
    I have had many roosters in my life and only ever had problems this breeds roosters. Are they just more aggressive then other breeds? I am thinking so or is it just me?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have had one, just last week try to get me, I slapped him across the run. He now is very meek. I will not have a mean rooster on the place for any reason. I have done the "dance" around my other roosters and it worked [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Honestly my only nasty roosters have been RIR.

Harry my LF black ameraucana rooster is not aggressive at all, actually he runs away from me. My lavender bantam Jesse likes to think he is mean (crowing and strutting) until I go in the pen, then he backs away. I can pick him right up.

Sara

4. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I went to farm yesterday to move chickens,the two ameracana roosters are the only ones we had trouble with . One is leaving one way or the other, very rough with the hens also, they are my Grandsons would be long gone if up to me.

5. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am thinking it was a bad idea to have taken these 2 roosters from for my friend. She thinks she is going to move up here in a year and wants them back then. They might suffer from a "predator attack" before then if are not careful.
    I stress out when my son is out with the chickens now. I use to not. We have had several bantam roosters and none have ever been a problem and we also had a big beautiful mixed breed rooster who was also no problem at all ever. I miss Chester. He was a good one.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have had good luck with holding them down on the ground with your hand, pinning their head to the floor and holding them there till they stop struggling (no, not till they stop breathing hehe)
    If you whap them, it will work for a while, but will not stop the problem.

I rarely have a problem with my Ameraucanas and never had an issue when I had EE's.

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    My Ameracuana is the best Rooster ever. He doesnt like to be cuddled alot, but we pet him and he loves treat time. If he hears a plastic bag he knows that means snacks and will come running as fast as he can. He is wonderful I could not even imagine him being mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by