1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracana

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matthewschickens, Nov 21, 2009.

1. We have an Ameracana that has not started to lay eggs yet.
    We also have 3 other ameracanas and 25 other hens that are about the same age but are all laying.
    On more thing, she does not have puffs on the side of her face like the other hens.
    Does that make a difference?

Thank you!!

Matthew

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    They are probally EE's and they lay late for some reason. Do you have pic's???

3. Here are some pics:)
    If they do not come up then tell me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Matthew

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    My EEs started to lay at 20 weeks I get Green, cream, olive & blueish green so far.

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep, she's an Easter Egger. Almost all feed stores and hatcheries sell EE's as Ameraucnanas or even Araucanas...she will be a great layer for you when she starts, my last EE just started laying a couple of weeks ago, and she is 7 months old... [​IMG]

6. Thank you but why did all the others that I got from the same place start laying a long time ago?
    Does anyone know why this is?
    Could she be a rooster?

Thanks!

Matthew

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Some hens are slower to lay than others. She's not a rooster, definitely an EE pullet.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I don't have an answer for that one, I have birds younger than this one that started laying first too... ???

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Yup, she's an EE. Looks very similar to the EEs I produce when I crossed my Ameraucana with a Welsummer.

As long as you have them on at least 14 hours of light, you should see them start laying between 20-25 weeks. Judging from the size of her wattles, she's getting very close to laying.

God Bless,

10. lelander12

lelander12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    How big are EE?[​IMG] Planning to get some![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by