Ameracanas and egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marymac, Aug 29, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have read on here Ameracanas lay pink , blue, green tinted eggs. does this mean 1 hen can lay any or all of these colors at any given time? Or will 1 hen lay just 1 color of egg?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    One hen will only lay one colour of egg, though the colour will slowly fade over time.

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    So is there any way to tell which color it might lay, say by the coloration of it's feathers or feet?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Look at its earlobes. The color of the earlobes should be the color of the eggs it lays.

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I've yet to see any chicken with blue earlobs [​IMG]

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Silkies lay off white eggs, and they have blue earlobes. I have heard that hens with white earlobes lay white and ones with red earlobes lay brown. That may be true. Except for with Americaunas or Easter Eggers, their earlobes are red and they lay blue, green, white or "pink".

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Yeah, silkies have blue earlobes but they don't lay blue eggs. My EE's have neither green nor blue earlobes.

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:WOW!!!! [​IMG] I swear I learn something new everyday. I have never hear about the ear lobe theory. Thanks for posting the info. [​IMG]

I'll have to go check all my EE girls & teen age Ameraucana girl's ear lobes. [​IMG]

In my older flock (1 yr & 5 months old) I have 5 EE girls. 4 lay green, but diff shades and one lays a light one. I use to think it had a pinkish tint to it, but now it just kinda blends in w/ my RIR & SLW eggs. [​IMG]

I have my teenage flock of 4 EE girls and one EE girl just started laying. She has laid 5 cute, little tan pullet eggs so far this week. I have 3 more teenagers EE girls that I'm waiting on to lay and hope they lay me some green eggs. [​IMG]

My 4 Ameraucana girls are a week younger than the teenage EE girls, so it will be a little longer until I see those pretty blue eggs. [​IMG]

OK, I'm going to go look at ear lobes todat and report back. [​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Smitty's Farm :

Quote:WOW!!!! [​IMG] I swear I learn something new everyday. I have never hear about the ear lobe theory. Thanks for posting the info. [​IMG]

I'll have to go check all my EE girls & teen age Ameraucana girl's ear lobes. [​IMG]

In my older flock (1 yr & 5 months old) I have 5 EE girls. 4 lay green, but diff shades and one lays a light one. I use to think it had a pinkish tint to it, but now it just kinda blends in w/ my RIR & SLW eggs. [​IMG]

I have my teenage flock of 4 EE girls and one EE girl just started laying. She has laid 5 cute, little tan pullet eggs so far this week. I have 3 more teenagers EE girls that I'm waiting on to lay and hope they lay me some green eggs. [​IMG]

My 4 Ameraucana girls are a week younger than the teenage EE girls, so it will be a little longer until I see those pretty blue eggs. [​IMG]

OK, I'm going to go look at ear lobes todat and report back. [​IMG]

The earlobe thingy doesn't work on easter eggers. There is no way on knowing what color eggs they will lay until they lay them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by