ameracauana

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ranchruler@gmail.com, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ranchruler@gmail.com

ranchruler@gmail.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    alliance,oh
    I was wondering how to tell a rooster americuana chick from a hen because im picking up some from a ladie and i need a rooster they are 4 weeks old

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I bought an Ameracuana rooster that was 5 weeks old. It has been returned to the store because they had sold it as a hen and it 'buffed out'. At five weeks it had a full head comb and 'strutted' like a rooster. There was no mistaking for a hen. I would think that four weeks old would already have some of these signs and careful observation should do the trick.

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Look for the ones with longer pointier tails. The pullets have shorter fuller tails. I wish you were close I have three roos that are adorable but can't stay.

4. Martha80

Martha80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Randolph Co. Indiana
    I got 2 Americauna day-old chicks this spring and within a few weeks became convinced that one of them was a roo. "He" was golden with an upright head and tail while she was dunn colored and hid her head in his chest. They are now 12 weeks old and now I think "he"is a "she" after all. They are still the same size, there is no crowing and no wattle or comb growth. I hope I was wrong!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

With pea combed breeds, either Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers either one, look for the smallest, most narrow comb that is not raised up at all. Males tend to have wider, more raised up at the back end, pinkish combs, with the three rows of bumps showing, while pullets tend to only show the center ridge of the pea comb at that age. It's not foolproof, but helps somewhat to know that. The tails won't really help much at 4 weeks old, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by