Ameracauna--Andulasian cross-question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TerriLaChicks, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have 2 true black bearded & muffed Ameracauna hens - no roo to cross them to, unfortunately -they were all that I got out of that hatch. Both lay a true blue egg - no green in it.

So, if I cross them to my splash Andalusian roo, will their offspring produce a lighter blue egg or a white egg?

Thanking you in advance for your opinions.

edited to add: this is not to create a new breed or anything--my flock is closed, so this is just for my own personal project.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Blue egg gene is dominant and all doughters will lay blue eggs

3. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Yes just as stated above the eggs should all be blue. When blue eggs are formed the white is put down on the shell first then the blue color is added. The same speaks for green eggs. The green comes from the brown being placed down first then the blue being added over that.

4. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    this one her mother is andulasian and her vfather is ee , she lays blue eggs

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your two true ,Black AMERAUCANAs are bred to a Splash Andalusian roo they will lay blue eggs.

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    THANK YOU all who answered!

You have given me the BEST Christmas present I could ask for!

I was thinking that was the case, & I have searched & read & read over many posts, but I had to be sure before I separate my flock after the 1st of the year.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    What a great mix! I'd love some blue bearded chicks! hint hint!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Incorrect. Eggshells are either blue or white; the colour is throughout the shell--much like tinted plaster is coloured throughout. If brown egg genes are present, brown pigment is "painted" onto the formed shell, creating brown or green eggs, depending on the colour of the eggshell. This brown coating can be scratched off; blue cannot (unless you break the egg open [​IMG] )

9. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Quote:Incorrect. Eggshells are either blue or white; the colour is throughout the shell--much like tinted plaster is coloured throughout. If brown egg genes are present, brown pigment is "painted" onto the formed shell, creating brown or green eggs, depending on the colour of the eggshell. This brown coating can be scratched off; blue cannot (unless you break the egg open [​IMG] )

Thanks Sonoran. You beat me to the correction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by